Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 28, 2017

Thursday, December 28, 2017

Thursday, December 28, 2017

This photo was taken in December of 2007. Every December we took Mattie to the US Botanical Gardens. It is a special museum in DC, but an incredibly memorable place to visit close to Christmas. The museum is decorated with plants, trees, toy trains, and miniature historical buildings (like the US Capitol), made out of plant materials. Mattie loved going every year, and what also made it unique was the museum was very warm. After all the plants needed this tropical heat to grow. So there was nothing like coming inside from the cold winter weather to this hot house!


Quote of the day: I was delighted to see you again, and forgot for the moment that all happiness is fleeting. ~ Alexandre Dumas



We may have returned home last night, but it has been non-stop chores for two days. After we landed last night, I did five loads of laundry and this morning, I went out in this twenty degree weather to pick up both animals. 

First pick up was Ms. Indie. When I brought Indie into our home today and opened her cage, she made a b-line to find Peter. Indie is most definitely PETER'S cat. Yet Indie was even excited to see me when I picked her up at our vet's office. She gave me several MEOWS, as Indie is a very vocal kitty! She practically has a vocalization for every mood and emotion she wishes to express. 


This afternoon, I went to pick up Sunny. When Sunny saw me at Dogtopia, he did not acknowledge me. Instead he wanted to immediately escape out the front door. I am used this reaction, as it happens every time I pick him up. However, once Sunny got into the car and I started talking to him, you should have heard the noises he was making.... sighs of various expressions. 

When Sunny came through the front door of our home and saw Peter, he literally was running around our living and dining rooms. He was THAT excited. I took a video of it, but videos are harder to upload to the blog, so I instead took a screenshot of the video to share here. You can literally see Sunny running with joy! 

I walked Sunny 2.5 miles today in the cold and he is sticking close to us all day. Clearly Sunny and Indie are thrilled to be back home. 

1 comment:

Margy Jost said...

Home is where the heart is! An old but true quote that even our dogs & cats, definitely feel when they come home. I loved seeing the happiness in your home and the greetings, you received. Love abounds with you & Peter.

I loved Mattie's photo and the knowledge that you visited the Botanical Gardens with him at Christmas. I love the whole place but the train exhibit is my favorite each year