Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 21, 2018

Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2006. Mattie was almost four years old and if you look closely you will see the mess taking place on our coffee table. Mattie was not only playing with his cars and trains, but he was covering all the vehicles with clay. Look at the fun he was having, but can you also imagine the clean up. Mattie loved playing with clay or playdoh and as long as it was somewhat contained, I never prevented his creativity. 


Quote of the day: There's just something beautiful about walking in snow that nobody else has walked on. It makes you believe you're special. Carol Rifka Brunt



Sunny and I walked three miles in the snow today. Besides it being frigid out, most of the pathways we went on weren't shoveled. So trying to balance him and my umbrella, trudging  through four inches of snow was good exercise. 

Though Sunny grew up in South Carolina, the snow doesn't stop him. Sunny is about walking, experiencing nature, and covering territory.

We do a daily loop together around the Potomac River. Sunny loves this walk because there is always something to sniff, dogs to greet, and I should mention Sunny loves to stalk ducks and geese. I don't let him chase the birds, but if I let him off leash, there would be a few less birds in DC. 
This was on our way to the Potomac River. Though I am not a snow person or a cold weather person for that matter, I do love when the walk ways are not congested. I only experience this peaceful sort of DC when it is very cold or very hot outside. It is then, that you can appreciate the trees and birds around you without the noise and the ugly behavior of people. 
It was hard to see anything by the water, as fog had rolled in! But those trees across the way are on Roosevelt Island. As I walked through Washington Harbor, I passed maybe a handful of people. It was delightful! 

Mattie loved the snow and playing in it. I remember spending time outside in it so he could play. Sunny reminds me of Mattie, in the sense that they are not bothered by the weather in any way. With Mattie I learned to operate outside, regardless of the temperature, mainly because he seemed happier with fresh air and with the freedom that only nature can provide. 

No comments: