Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 29, 2018

Monday, October 29, 2018

Monday, October 29, 2018

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2007. I will never forget this wonderful photo that Peter captured. We took Mattie to Butler's Orchard in Maryland and as you can see he rode a hay wagon out to the pumpkin patch, where he picked many beautiful pumpkins to take home! 



Quote of the day: A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it. ~ George Moore


On Wednesday evening of last week, my parents and I had the opportunity to have dinner with my cousins Maureen and Philip, and my lifetime friend Karen. Philip is my mom's first cousin. 

We haven't seen Maureen and Philip since my wedding, which was over 23 years ago. So in a way, going to NY, was just as much about returning home and seeing family as it was about my mom receiving an honor from her school. When I knew my cousins years ago, I was much younger and had a lot less baggage or perhaps emotional insights. Now that I have experienced great illness, death, and tragedy, I am much more aware of those around me and am eager to hear about their lives and stories. What I came away with from Wednesday's dinner is that I am saddened to live so far away from my cousins, as I feel we have a lot in common and we both understand and value the role of the family caregiver. 

My dad with my cousin Philip. While at dinner, Karen turned to me and said that Philip reminded her of my maternal grandmother. I would have to agree with her, they do indeed look similar. 
We had a wonderful meal by the Hudson River, and the wait staff even surprised my mom with a special dessert. They asked what we were celebrating and my response was... my mom's teaching award and being with family. 

While at dinner, I had a wonderful time connecting with my cousin Maureen. My cousin has been a caregiver for decades. In fact, I can't think of a time when she wasn't helping a family member. As I always say, family caregivers are the unsung heroes of our society. It is a self-less job, but one that makes a profound impact on the lives of those receiving the care, support, and love. Though my caregiving has been different from Maureen's, there are many similarities and commonalities that we share. But I think it is special to be able to sit down with someone and just in a matter of a couple of words and stories, feel that we are both on the same page! For me this is a refreshing experience because I don't always feel that way in my numerous interactions with people. 

The beauty of cousins!!!



No comments: