Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 30, 2018

Friday, November 30, 2018

Friday, November 30, 2018

Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2003. We took Mattie to Boston and while there, we met up with a friend of mine from graduate school. My friend lives in Boston and she has a daughter who is Mattie's age. So we got the children together to play. Mattie typically did not like ball pits, but that day he went inside. I think he tried it because the play space wasn't busy, there wasn't a lot of noise, or confusion. This has to be my one and ONLY photo of Mattie in a ball pit. Which was why I probably snapped the photo, it was a rarity!!!


Quote of the day: Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition. ~ Abraham Lincoln


My morning started with a phone call to a pediatric comprehensive cancer center (not in our Washington, DC region). This center actually asked to have a phone call with me. On the phone was one of the institution's researchers we are funding and the assistant director of development. The development director wanted to learn more about Mattie Miracle. Once she heard what we are doing at the local and national level, her comment remained with me. She explained that most private foundations tend to start local and then struggle to expand their services on a national level. But in our case, we are already there. Which was lovely to hear. I know that Mattie Miracle works on a national level, but some how this month in particular that recognition has been more transparent or clear in the minds of our supporters and those who interact with us. So as Lincoln aptly stated..... we strive to be worthy of recognition. 

Later in the day I went grocery shopping. The joke is I live in DC, but I never grocery shop there. I instead go to Alexandria, VA. When Mattie was alive and healthy, he went to preschool and elementary school in Alexandria. Therefore, while he was at school, I would do many chores there, and that habit hasn't changed. The funny part about Alexandria though is I can't seem to do anything without bumping into someone I know. Mind you, Alexandria is not so small really with over 160,000 people. While in the grocery store alone, I bumped into two friends. 

However, while shopping, a grocery store employee came up to me to offer assistance. I really did not need it, but I could see she really wanted to help. I also quickly deduced that she was an individual with a special need. It is lovely to see that Safeway provides opportunities for all members of our community. In any case, after this young lady helped me she said to me.... "if I was helpful, will you tell the store manager?" I wrote down her name and the store manager's name and kept shopping. At the check out location, the same young lady was bagging my groceries. Bagging groceries can be challenging especially when a lot is coming at you. But she did not get frustrated and her colleague working the register was super patient as was the customer behind me in line. I was really thrilled to see the humanity of people on this grocery line today. 

I say this because for the most part, people are SO BUSY. They are attached to their cell phone and juggling multiple things. We have LOST the art of human interaction..... talking, making eye contact, and listening to others. I remember when that was commonplace on the grocery line!! I truly was concerned that I would have a customer behind me today who was going to be impatient and basically angry because the line was moving slowly because of my friend with the special needs. But that did not happen! 

After I checked out, my new friend walked with me to the customer service counter so I could talk with the manager. The manager was lovely and frankly I shop at this store because the overall experience is GREAT. Compare it to any store in DC, and I would say it is worth the car trip. 


No comments: