Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 28, 2018

Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2002. Mattie was 7 months old here. As Peter always said, Mattie was born "ON." Mattie was not a napper but instead was always on the go and had to be mentally challenged and stimulated. Mattie loved looking at books and though he did not sit still for much else, he always was interested in a good story. 


Quote of the day: I am thankful for all of those who said NO to me. It is because of them I’m doing it myself. ~ Albert Einstein


Einstein's quote made me laugh as soon as I saw it tonight. I laughed because there is great truth in what he was saying. I think Peter and I get a lot of "no's" in the work we do. After all, when people think of childhood cancer, they think of the medicine. Funding drug development, other biologics, and medical research. Definitely important and vital, but only a part of the cancer treatment equation. Looking solely at the medicine would be fine if we are talking about something at the cellular level. But with a human being, we are far more complicated than the cells that comprise us. 

Today out of the blue, I got an invitation to speak at Mattie's school on January 22. The school is inviting guest speakers from the community to address common good and social responsibility. In essence this entails developing a 45 minute presentation, and delivering it three times that day. Each student will have the opportunity to attend 3 different sessions. Sessions that they choose based on an 100 word description I provide. Almost like getting a conference booklet, and then you as the attendee choose what you wish to hear more about. 

In theory developing this session sounds like a piece of cake, but for me it is not. It's not because this is an age group I am not familiar with teaching or rearing. Though I no longer have a toddler, preschooler, or elementary aged child, I am definitely more versed in them because of Mattie. Of course, my professional experience is teaching undergraduate and graduate students. Even on that level, I remember the differences between undergrad and grad students, despite the fact that they are both young adults. 

I am honored Mattie's school has invited me and that they realize that Mattie Miracle is much bigger than just Alexandria, VA (where the school is located). In the invitation I was requested to present on the Foundation but also how we were able to grow an idea into a national organization. Given that I will be presenting to teenagers, I am cognizant that whatever I present has to be very tangible, illustrates that it is making a difference and most importantly provides some sort of nugget of knowledge that will stay with them. In the hopes that it will get them to think about what role they can serve in helping children with cancer. Or perhaps also inspire them to think about what they are passionate about and to use this passion to develop their own non-profit some day. 

No comments: