Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 27, 2019

Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 -- Mattie died 517 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2005. Mattie was three years old and was learning about water and swimming. Mattie did not take to swimming like a duck to water. He was cautious and fearful, which actually was a great thing, because water in my opinion is something that needs to be respected. Mattie had a sixth sense like that! For several summers in a row, we encouraged Mattie in the water and I would say by the summer of 2008 (age 6), right before he was diagnosed, he began to swim independently and feel more comfortable in the water. 


Quote of the day: It's wonderful that going to the theatre is considered one of the things that you want to train a service dog for, rather than thinking that theatre is out of reach for people who require a service animal, because it isn't. ~ Ann Swerdfager


My lifetime friend, Karen, sent me the cutest article today. It is entitled, Adorable photo of dogs attending a Stratford performance takes off online. If interested, you can read it for yourself:
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/q/blog/adorable-photo-of-dogs-attending-a-stratford-performance-takes-off-online-1.5246983

Naturally when you see this photo, what is your reaction? If you are like me, it probably brought a smile to your face. As animal lovers, we are always absorbed, intrigued, and fascinated by our furry friends. However, in this particular case, these furry cuties were actually working. These are service dogs being trained and acclimated to being in a theater. After all, theaters are crowded, have loud noises, tight spaces, and lots of people. These service dogs need to be aware of all these challenges in order to be an effective helper to their companion. 

The theater staff and performers were very impressed with these pooches. As they sat quietly like a human theater goer and were focused on helping their handlers. Meaning they were not distracted during intermission by concession stands. All I can say is WOW! My Sunny is a good boy, but he is motivated by his stomach. First and foremost! 

I am sure reading this article would have brought a smile to my face whether I was a dog owner or not. But now that Sunny is in my life, I have a greater appreciation for the art of the dog. Dogs are sensitive, perceptive, and very keyed into their owner's emotions. They have a way of making a bad day seem just a little better, and I can absolutely understand why people turn to dogs as service and emotional support animals. There are times I look inside Sunny's eyes, and I swear I am looking at a person. All I know is Sunny gets me moving and walking everyday, regardless of weather and circumstances. I admire the dog-human bond and isn't it wonderful that this dynamic duo can now experience theater together. 

No comments: