Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 7, 2020

Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 -- Mattie died 536 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2009. Mattie's friends gave him this BIG Scooby Doo balloon. He was very happy to receive it as Scooby was one of his favorite characters. You can see the amount of Legos and toys that were pilling up all around us. Since we spent little time at home, our home was slowly being transformed into a warehouse. As Mattie received gifts and toys daily from the hospital and friends. All of these items were greatly needed to engage Mattie and to pass the endless about of time we spent confined to a hospital room. Nonetheless, by the time Mattie died, our home became practically unrecognizable. That is how much stuff was accumulated in one year!


Quote of the day: To have memories of those you have loved and lost is perhaps harder than to have no memories. Hugh Jackman


Things came to a stand still in Washington, DC! Why? Well there was a threat of an inch of snow. Honestly our region needs to get a grip on reality! What we experienced in DC was purely rain. Sure we saw some of the white stuff for a few hours but it is too warm for it to stick and accumulate. 
Despite the grayness and cold, Sunny LOVES to come out on our balcony and sit and watch the traffic. He refuses to spend time on our deck, but this bird's eye view he loves. 

















Yesterday, I met with a friend and she was telling me she just saw the musical Wicked in NYC. As she was telling me the plot, I honestly couldn't follow her..... at all! Mind you I have seen Wicked twice, both times were before Mattie was diagnosed with cancer. 

My friend was talking about the musical and how it affected her. I wanted to be able to respond to her, but it was hard because my recollection of the musical was SO SO different. I joked with her, because it was like she and I saw two different shows. I was so perplexed by this that I came home and talked to Peter about this discrepancy! However, he did not remember the plot that my friend described either! So at least this memory lapse isn't confined to me alone! I then went on the internet to see if the plot of the musical has been altered or expanded since I saw it early on when it was first released. However, I found nothing to indicate that the story line changed! What changed was me! A rather frightening notion, but I do think Mattie's cancer and death has had a profound impact on us. Some of the changes are subtle and some are very significant. 

No comments: