Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 26, 2020

Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Tonight's picture was taken on August 8, 2009, two days after we learned about Mattie's terminal diagnosis. If you look at Mattie, you can see how emaciated his body was, and yet he was still able to smile. That day, Peter and I went to Target and purchased a big ride-on vehicle. This was something Mattie always wished for and it is ironic what things you will do and purchase when you know your child is dying. Mattie only enjoyed this ride-on vehicle for a few weeks, nonetheless, it was worth every penny. 


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins

  • number of people diagnosed with the virus: 5,817,538
  • number of people who died from the virus: 179,596



Peter sent me this photo today! What is this? A pair of Mattie's old sandals. Peter found them in our neighbor's apartment. Our neighbor, JP, died in February. JP had a dog named JJ ("Just Jack"). JJ and Mattie were good buddies. When Mattie died, JJ would visit us daily and sit on our front step, waiting for Mattie to come out. One day, JJ went into our home and came out with a pair of Mattie's sandals. Apparently he took these sandals home with him and put them in his doggie crate. 

Peter is the executor of JP's will and is working hard at cleaning out his home and dealing with his estate. In the process of cleaning out, he found these sandals in JJ's crate. Now ten years later!! Amazing no? There are so many emotions for me in seeing these shoes!



Meanwhile, I spent a good portion of the day creating a file of my parent's wills, power of attorney, and medical health power of attorney. Unfortunately my parents created their wills several years ago when I was much much younger. Therefore, I am only considered a power of attorney for one parent, if the other dies. NOT practical now, as I need to have the authority to help both of my parents if and when it is needed. Peter and I have tried contacting the lawyer who created their original wills. We have called and emailed. Forget it! I think the practice must have gone out of business. So now I am trying to find a lawyer who can help me. 

Honestly my days are frenetic, as I am not just managing physical care, but I am managing people coming in and out, helping my mom pay bills (things she did not do when my dad was healthy), processing all insurance claims, and interfacing with all health care providers and agencies we are working with. 

My dad was always the one overseeing the day to day logistics at home, so this is a major learning curve for my mom, and my dad sees he isn't up to doing any of the financial accounting he used to do. He gets upset that my mom has taken over, but on the other hand he also has no desire to do it. He can't focus and he certainly can't remember the activities he does from one minute to the other. 

My dad debates me often on the decisions being made. Which sounds understandable, but as a supporter of his care, it can be wearing. Challenging, and exacerbating when I know his logic and reasoning is not what it was. My top concern is making sure they are safe and no one is taking advantage of them. 

No comments: