Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 5, 2020

Monday, October 5, 2020

Monday, October 5, 2020

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2002. Mattie was six months old and a friend of mine sent me this doorway jumper. When I first saw it, I honestly thought 'no way!' I viewed it as dangerous, but then again I never took my eyes off of Mattie, so the likelihood he would get in trouble in this contraption was low. With the first introduction to this jumper, Mattie did not like it. But as he got more comfortable in it, he loved it. In fact, we would literally lightly bounce Mattie in this for several minutes at night to get him to sleep. The motion calmed him down. Of course that was short lived into we taught him how to sleep. 


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins.

  • number of people diagnosed with the virus: 7,447,363
  • number of people who died from the virus: 210,043


I normally don't rant and rave over a TV series. Mostly because I think the majority of them have no substance or depth, and are typically not memorable. I admit to loving British dramas and series, but my mother in law introduced me to an Australian TV series called a A Place to Call Home. In fact, I saw an episode or two with her about two summers ago in Boston. It intrigued me enough to know that I wanted to see the rest of the series. 

So fast forward to life in COVID times. This is when Peter and I started watching the series. The series has 6 seasons. When I tell you both of us were hooked to this series, I am not kidding. Each night for the past several months, we would see an episode or two. I feel as if these characters have become part of my daily LOCKED DOWN life. As character development was superb and the inter-relationships were captivating. Last night we saw the LAST episode in the series. I was in tears, it was that touching. When a show can create a story line that weaves itself into your heart and mind, then you know it was well done. I will deeply miss seeing all the characters I have come to love over the last several months. If you have been looking for a great series to invest in, I can't say enough about A Place to Call Home

Set in Australia in the 1950's, A Place to Call Home is a compelling and romantic story of one woman's journey to heal her soul and of a privileged family rocked by scandal. Acclaimed actress Marta Dusseldorp leads the cast as Sarah Adams, a woman with a mysterious past who returns to Australia after 20 years in Europe.

Working her passage home aboard an ocean liner, Sarah becomes involved in the lives of the Blighs, a wealthy Australian pastoralist family. She develops an immediate connection with handsome and charming widower George, as well as his modern young daughter Anna and withdrawn daughter-in-law Olivia. But it is when Sarah unwittingly discovers a potentially scandalous Bligh family secret that her future becomes forever linked with theirs.

Only the uncompromising matriarch of the family, Elizabeth, and her grandson James, know Sarah has uncovered this family skeleton. Elizabeth is intent on keeping it that way - and Sarah at arm's length. Bearing the scars of war and facing the animosity of a determined matriarch, it is time for Sarah to face life again and begin her journey towards healing and hopefully finding a place to call home.


The highlight of our day was walking Sunny at Great Falls, a National Park. You can see Sunny's anticipation as we were driving into the Park. 
The beauty of our walk. 
Can you see the climbers on ropes down the cliff?
Sunny is on top of the world. A beautiful fall day, and a wonderful escape from our trying times. 
A grass snake right in our path. I am not a snake fan, regardless of their size or how harmless some of them may be. 



















No comments: