Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 26, 2020

Friday, December 25, 2020

Friday, December 25, 2020

Tonight's picture was taken on Christmas of 2008. Though this photo looks cute and fun, this day was anything but that! Mattie was dealing with pain, depression, anxiety, and medical traumatic stress. These are things we did not always share with the outside world, but it was devastating to witness this and to feel powerless to change the situation. 

That afternoon, friends dropped off these cute Christmas items for Mattie. As you can see, Peter put on the red nose and hat and encouraged Mattie to do the same. It was a moment of laughter and lightness, which was greatly appreciated. 



Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins.

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 18,756,360
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 330,246

When I think about big holiday dinners, I am reminded of my maternal grandmother. By the time I was born, my grandmother was already living with my parents. As her husband died from colon cancer at an early age. 

My grandmother was a great cook and somehow how I had the where with all to observed what she was doing and at times she did instruct me. Which was an honor really because my grandmother did not like people in her kitchen. 
All I know is there is NO way I can cook a big Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner all in one day. Instead, I take on a dish a day, and I started on Monday. This is the only way that it is doable for me, on top of supporting all the other activities I do here. As usual, my day started at 6am. However, I gave my dad's caregiver the day off, so I took on getting him up, showered, dressed, breakfast, 4 loads of laundry, his 20 minute walk, cognitive exercises, and the list goes on. 

I set up a buffet in the kitchen and tried to make the dining room table festive. We are fortunate to have family friends who joined us today to celebrate Christmas. It made it festive, memorable, and it is good stimulation for my dad. 
When I was in Los Angeles in November, I decided to decorate the house for Christmas. I figured this would cheer up all our spirits, as there is something magical about seeing lights. Ironically, I refuse to decorate at all in my own home. But when I know it is for someone else, I will do it!
Fortunately I have Peter with me, and having my talented sous chef makes everything in the kitchen go MUCH more smoothly. As I find it challenging to do a big meal without an extra pair of competent hands. Since Peter was managing the cooking of the turkey, I was able to go for 4 mile walk with my mom. Along our journey, I saw Santa!
Another neighbor was giving out Meyers Lemons for Christmas!
Peter snapped a photo of me with my three layer coconut cake!
A photo of me with my mom!






















My dad is enjoying his time with Peter! It was over 70 degrees today! An absolutely beautiful day and my dad was enjoying some time outside. In front of him is a golf course. Many of the players wished us a Merry Christmas, which was lovely!
While my dad and Peter were sitting outside, a big hawk flew into our tree!

Peter's turkey! It was perfectly cooked, which is a feat in my parent's oven. I learned from Thanksgiving that their oven is off by 15 or more degrees! Which is a lot when cooking a big bird or roast. 

No comments: