Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 6, 2011

Monday, June 6, 2011

Monday, June 6, 2011

Tonight's picture was taken on July 4, 2006, on Zachary's (Mattie's close preschool buddy) family's boat. Mattie loved watching the fireworks from the boat, and absolutely was thrilled with the whole water experience. It was an incredible way to see the fireworks, because it seemed like they were going off right over our heads and they looked larger than life.

Quote of the day: If you have ever lost someone very important to you, then you already know how it feels, and if you haven't, you cannot possibly imagine it. ~ Lemony Snicket

I had a horrible night of sleep on Sunday. Perhaps because I knew I was headed home. I am NOT sure, but I was preoccupied with thoughts that someone was trying to break into Ellen's beach house. I heard all sorts of noises throughout the night. When I was able to sleep, I had quite a vivid dream. I rarely remember my dreams, but this one was quite memorable. In fact, at 3am, I awoke in fear because I heard noises, but was also troubled by my dream. In my dream, I was attending a Georgetown University Hospital party. However, at the party Mattie was alive and in a wheelchair, and right beside him was his buddy, Zachary. They were having a good time and were up to their usual mischief together. In the dream I am simply perplexed. I know Mattie died and yet there he was at the party and playing with Zachary. He did not look sick, but he was in a wheelchair. The inner conflict between the dream and thinking someone was breaking into the house, disturbed my sleep and I awoke and really never knew how the dream or vision of Mattie was supposed to be interpreted. Forget the interpretation, I would have just liked to know where this dream was going, but it was quickly interrupted by my restlessness.

Peter and I left the beach at 11:15am. It was an uneventful drive, and actually quite a pretty one. We passed many farms and other natural scenes along the way. There were miles upon miles of corn fields, and while Peter was driving, I tried to capture one.

But our trip home was relatively quiet. Both of us were not happy to be returning home, and we had a full range of emotions we were feeling.





Along our journey we also passed fields filled with cows. For those of you who do NOT know, I LOVE cows, particularly Holstein cows (the black and white ones!). So rest assured if there is a cow to be seen, I will be taking a picture of it.











As we traversed over the Bay Bridge, I saw this lone sailboat in the water. It was a peaceful sight against the very blue water. This sailboat seemed to illustrate my feelings, alone in a bay full of water.
This was our last glimpse of the Chesapeake Bay before returning to land. It was a beautiful sight and one we will have to remember for weeks to come. On our way home, we stopped by the vet to pick up Patches. She was absolutely thrilled to see us! However, when we returned home and I opened up our deck door, I was stunned to see all our plants looking VERY wilted and some dead. We have a timed sprinkler that goes off when we are away, to insure that our plants are cared for. However, something must have went very wrong and the sprinkler did not go off. I was so upset by what I saw, that I did not even go inside our home to unpack. I immediately started working on reviving and cleaning up the dead plants. We lost roses, petunias, gerber daisies, and marigolds. This is a garden we have cultivated now for months and it has been our piece of serenity in the city. So needless to say, I was unhappy. So it seems that this coming weekend I was be replanting some things. However, while at the beach, we bought some symbolic things of Mattie, like a big metal sun and butterfly, which have now been added to our deck.

No comments: