Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 17, 2013

Sunday, March 17, 2013

 
Sunday, March 17, 2013

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2009. Mattie's friends gave him these shamrock items as gifts. Mattie got all dressed up with them and I snapped a photo of that moment in time. This picture will always remind me of St. Patrick's day.


Quote of the day: I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul. ~ Jean Cocteau








Tonight's quote is SO touching. My readers who have animals, or who ever had a pet, know all too well the dimensions an animal can bring to our lives. I can't think of a better way to teach a child about responsibility, patience, and the art of nurturing another living creature than by having a pet. Patches has filled our home for 17 years now with her liveliness, grace, and antics. Not to mention her vocalizations at all hours of the day!!!

Since Patches was diagnosed with bone cancer on January 7, 2013, she has slowly declined. I remind myself often that her vet wanted to put her to sleep in January, but we have cared for her and given her two extra months of life. Now we have to stop and assess her life. Are we prolonging her life now for us or her? She is emaciated, can't eat (ANYTHING), and can hardly drink water. In addition, she is becoming quite congested. With all that being said, she is still very responsive to us. She follows Peter around where ever he goes (a bit like Mary had a little lamb, but she always did this) and she wants to be a part of our threesome. When I see this behavior it is hard to accept that we need to put her to sleep. I am calling Patches' vet tomorrow morning and finding out what our next steps are because physically Patches may not make the week.


This morning while we were having breakfast, Patches jumped up on our table and snuggled up to Peter's arm. Despite the fact that she is physically falling apart, she appears to be her beautiful self. I never understood why someone abandoned Patches on the streets of DC. She is a beauty and very intelligent. The only catch is that Patches is demanding and extremely VOCAL! Funny how sounds I once may have been annoyed with, now will be greatly missed!


 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you during this sad time with Patches.