Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 19, 2013

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 -- Mattie died 184 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken on April 20 of 2002. Mattie was literally 16 days old. What I love about this photo was it not only shows how alert Mattie was from day one, but check out who was on the couch with my two boys. PATCHES! Patches was passed out on the couch by day because she knew by night there was NO peace or sleep happening in our home. Patches has walked the journey of our married life and with that came the birth, growth, cancer, and death of Mattie. 


Quote of the day: The naming of cats is a difficult matter. It isn't just one of your holiday games. You may think at first I'm mad as a hatter. When I tell you a cat must have three different names. ~ T.S. Eliot


Peter and I had a very upsetting evening with Patches. Patches is starving and desperately wants to eat. She took her seat at our dining room table and was really begging for what we were eating. So we cut up some chicken for her and she ate it. However, eating sets off a chain reaction which is horrific to watch. She literally jumps around, hits her head on the wall or floor, and then tries to scratch out her mouth. It is beyond awful to watch and then to see her paws covered in blood. Last night's episode depressed Peter and he couldn't eat dinner. It was abundantly evident to both of us that Patches needs to be put to sleep. To make it through the night, we began giving Patches liquid pain meds. This seems to be bringing her some peace until we can schedule an appointment with the vet.

I called Patches vet this morning and we decided to put Patches to sleep on Wednesday at 4:40pm. In the mean time, she is on pain meds around the clock, because we do not want to see her in pain. We very much appreciate the messages you are leaving us on the blog or the emails you are sending to us personally. I also appreciate the personal stories some of you have shared with me about the loss of your pet and how you can relate to our feelings and concerns. As so many of our readers know losing Patches is doubly hard for us because now our home will truly be quiet. It is back to being just the two of us.

I love TS Eliot's quote because he was right, Patches has multiple names. NOT just one. Certainly she is Patches, but over the years she has been called the following: Beanie, Freanbean, String Beanie, Pole Cat, Miss Bean, Patchkin, Patchkinator, Mistress Bean (because she TRULY loves Peter), and of course NURSE PATCH! We have a long history together, therefore a name for almost every occasion. I would like to share two recent pictures with you of Patches.





Patches, like any cat, loves boxes. All packages that come into our home have been historically inspected by Patches and claimed. Over the weekend, I turned a large box I was saving for packing purposes on its side and put a blanket inside the box. Patches took to the box instantly and she is really looking for cozy and cuddly places now to settle.



By day, Patches is my working buddy. As I sit in the kitchen working on my lap top, she is sitting in her perch watching me. Though she doesn't have the energy to watch me anymore, she is still in her perch keeping guard over my daily routine. I will miss her presence by day, her vocalizations by night, and of course her comfort and compassion when I am sick.


 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vicky and Peter,
Though we have never met, you both have become special people in my heart, for we are joint by the pain of losing a most beloved child. In my case, my beloved niece who will always be the daughter that was born out of my heart. I am sorry for everything you have had to endure, and now, for the pain of losing another part of your family. I lost my female kitty after 13 years of joyful company, but I have no regrets because I gave her all the love I could've given. I can tell you and Peter have done the same with Patches, and should be happy, for she got to live her life with such caring, giving people. When my kitty left, I wrote her a letter of love, where I poured all the pain and void I was feeling, and it helped me on my way to healing. Please know that I keep you, Peter and of course Mattie in my thoughts and prayers, and I have recently added Patches to that list. I hope you know, and rejoice in knowing that she couldn't have had a better, more loving and special family to love and call her own. May you always find joy in the memories of Patches being a great, special being to you all . Hugs from Burbank.

Anonymous said...

Vicki and Peter,
My thoughts are with you both today. There really aren't any words that will ease your pain as you say goodbye to a loyal companion. Hugs from Australia.

Unknown said...

Sorry for your loss! I hope Patches and Mattie are now together again!