Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 20, 2013

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2009. In fact this photo was taken a month before Mattie died. By that point Mattie was having trouble breathing and needed constant oxygen and was also connected to a pain pump. The oxygen and the pain pump were literally in the trunk of the car. For my faithful readers, you know all too well that this red vehicle was named "Speedy Red." In a way, Mattie's special wish was to always have a ride-on car. So my parents bought it for him and poor Peter schlepped it home and assembled it. Speedy Red gave Mattie GREAT pleasure. It did not matter how hot it was outside, we would venture out on Speedy Red. What I find fascinating though was Mattie had a natural understanding for the mechanics of driving. He just got the notion of a gas pedal, brakes, and steering. Since I wasn't sure if Mattie could figure out how to drive and I was worried about his safety, I usually rode in the passenger seat as his helpful side kick. However, once Mattie quickly caught on, he insisted on riding alone. I honored that request but was usually walking or running beside him because up until the day he died he was my number one priority.


Quote of the day: If there's a thing I've learned in my life it's to not be afraid of the responsibility that comes with caring for other people. What we do for love: those things endure. Even if the people you do them for don't. ~ Cassandra Clare


Peter and I have a busy next couple of days. Next Wednesday, we leave for a European cruise with my parents. Needless to say for those of you who love my travel blogs, I have a lot of adventure in store for you. I already thank you for checking in and traveling with us. I truly appreciate the support I get from our readers, because I would have to say that since Mattie's death traveling is hard for me. First off, I HATE flying, especially over water. If I never had to board a plane again, you know what? I wouldn't miss it in the least. I wouldn't even feel like my life was limited. I would simply feel happy being on solid ground. People have tried to talk to me about visualizing all sorts of calming things aboard a plane, but I assure you it doesn't work. My physician even suggested I take anxiety meds to deal with this fear, so I tried them once, and like Mattie, I had the exact opposite reaction for which the drug was intended. The medication made me HYPER and MORE agitated. So there we have it. I fly because I don't want my fears to limit others, but I HATE it.

Tomorrow morning, Peter boards a plane for Boston. He is going to deal with our car which was left there due to an accident. I will explain more about this journey tomorrow. But this ordeal with the car also brings me sadness. This car holds many memories for us. It took us on all our road trips with Mattie, I remember sitting with him in the back seat when he was a baby, and the list goes on. The car's license plate is MMCF (Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation), and to me it is our official Foundation car. There is just so much wrapped up in this car, and with Mattie gone, I do cling to THINGS. They are all that we have left.

This evening, Peter and I invited our friend Maria over for dinner. Maria is the special lady who flower sits for us when we are gone. I have many green babies and they require LOTS of water in this heat. Sometimes daily. Prior to Maria, we had someone else care for our plants and when we got home from one vacation so many things were dead. I don't like coming home to dead plants. That truly depresses me. Since Mattie's death our plant supply has increased almost 10 fold, we have surrounded ourselves. I suppose plants symbolize life and things to nurture. Any case, this year I started allowing people back into our home. I not only like eating, but I also like cooking. It feels like 110 degrees outside and therefore turning on the oven in our home isn't happening. Normally heat doesn't bother me, but since I have had an intense headache for two straight weeks so far, I limit my exposure to heat! I made the mistake of baking an apple pie yesterday morning, and I almost passed out. So whatever I prepare tonight Peter is cooking outside on the grill. The oven remains off! 

No comments: