Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 22, 2015

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2007. We took Mattie to the National Arboretum. Something we did every year around Mattie's birthday. My joke was that the azaleas were timed to bloom in celebration of Mattie's birthday. He seemed to like that notion and I must admit to this day, whenever I see an azalea bush, I think of the conversations Mattie and I used to have about them being gifts timed with his birthday.


Quote of the day: I'm a slow walker, but I never walk back. ~ Abraham Lincoln


Today was another busy Walk planning day. I had a walk meeting with a few of my core team members who are helping me with promoting the walk team concept and encouraging our supporters withing the community to sign up to walk as part of a team. I even have our postal employee (Darryl) who works at our Mattie Miracle PO Box office interested in the Foundation and wanting to know how he can help out. Darryl has helped me throughout the years with my December mass mailings and then he was transferred to another post office. I literally lost his help for two years. When that happened I was devastated. But now he is back and he says he isn't leaving! Needless to say, in his spare time he has chosen to distribute walk flyers for me. Got to love him, no??? This is what makes him so special. The post office needs to clone him. 

Later in the day I returned to Mattie's school to set up for the second kindergarten art session, which will take place tomorrow. But of course the rest of the day, I was dealing with walk registrations, walk team questions, permitting issues, and other plans. I thought I was done with permits, but as is typical with the permitting office.... I AM NOT done. I even went down to City Hall and paid the permitting fees on Monday. However, now they tell me that I have to file a BUILDING PERMIT for moon bounces! I don't know if you find this has hysterical as I do, but I have learned to stop asking and just comply. I knew in the past that I had to file such a permit for a rock climbing wall, but for a moon bounce..... well that is a new one to me! 

I end tonight's posting with this wonderful photo of Ellie's Mattie Miracle themed flower pots. Each year Ellie, who went to preschool with Mattie, comes to the Walk with one of the crafts she brainstorms, creates and sells to attendees. Ellie donates 100% of her proceeds to the Foundation. For the past three years Ellie has been our top teen vendor at the Walk! These flower pots are the crafts Ellie will be featuring at this year's Walk! My good friend and colleague, Nancy, is already the proud recipient of an Ellie flower pot and has bought two additional ones for her grandchildren! I agree with Nancy, they make beautiful and meaningful gifts, especially when you read the little note Ellie created with the Forget me Not seeds attached.

No comments: