Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 26, 2017

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 -- Mattie died 419 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2009. Mattie was home from his third massive surgery, a sternotomy. He wanted to take home his hospital bin, which actually came in handy as Mattie LOVED to play with water. Taking a bath wasn't something Mattie wanted to do anymore, once he had his broviac catheter inserted into his chest. We weren't going to argue with Mattie about bath time, since I think this made him feel very vulnerable being in water after his cancer diagnosis. Bath time was when Mattie used to have water fun. So in lieu of that, we migrated to a basin of water for him to play with. As you can see, Mattie created his own Sponge Bob Square Pants character. The main reason Mattie loved Sponge Bob was because he knew I disliked him greatly. In any case, what you can't see from this photo was that Sponge Bob took a leap into the basin and Mattie was seeing how well he could swim. 



Quote of the day: Oh, my friend, it's not what they take away from you that counts. It's what you do with what you have left. Hubert Humphrey


This afternoon, I returned to Mattie's hospital to push our Mattie Miracle snack and item cart around the pediatric units. Of course no one realizes what Tuesdays mean to me, and certainly the impact of going to the Hospital on a Tuesday. The day that Mattie died, a Tuesday! I never look at Tuesdays the same way anymore. 

I go to the Hospital monthly to push the Cart. I feel it is important to do this direct service work to see the cart in operation and to personally interact with families. Typically families are too tired, overwhelmed, and focused on the care of their child to have a meaningful conversation about the cart with me. I totally understand that, and go into my visits with no expectations. The only expectation is to provide a service to others. 

Today was a very different visit. In one of the units, a couple came outside of their child's room holding their newborn who was hospitalized. I am telling you this baby was ONLY days old. The little one was in her father's arms and you could tell how proud and scared he was! In any case, the father outright asked me who provides this cart and what is the story behind the cart! NO other parent has ever asked this, as parents are typically grateful and focused on the the free items coming their way, to help them make it through the day. This dad literally started by asking me about the physical nature of the cart, why it was orange and then we moved into very meaningful questions. So I told him about Mattie, about the Foundation, and why I felt it was important to provide sweet treats to families in the hospital. 

So why? Because when Mattie was in the hospital, our care community brought me treats daily! Which is when my chocolate addiction started! In addition to treats they brought us snacks and dinners daily for over a year. Given that I found this SO helpful and SO generous, Mattie Miracle wanted to continue the tradition our care community started but on a grander scale. As I was telling this dad and mom this story today, I could see they were visibly moved, so much so, that they wanted a brochure on the Foundation and told me they would tell Mattie's story to other people. Needless to say, I think my story made them appreciate the baby in their arms even more than prior to our chance meeting. They seemed to express awe over having lost a child to cancer, and here I was in the same hospital that Mattie died in, and I am funding a snack cart and pushing it myself to help others. Rarely do I get such feedback about our work, and of course I don't do it for this feedback. But at the end of the day, Mattie Miracle wants to be supporting items and services that positively impact the lives of families caring for children who are hospitalized. 



1 comment:

Margy Jost said...

Vicki, very sweet picture of Mattie holding Sponge Bob. As a Playlady, I always found it amusing to watch children gravitate to a cartoon character or some other kid item, they knew their parent wouldn't like. Growing Hope bought the fun bandages for the kids, so they could have choice. In the beginning, I didn't but SPONGE BOB or RUGRATS. Then kids started requesting those so after a quick check with parents, who recognized there were bigger battles to fight, they gave me the go ahead to buy them. I always thought it important to check with parents in all these areas.

I am glad to know Mattie liked water play. It is such a soothing activity. And it also is a way for kids who hesitate with the bath to have water in their life.