Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 25, 2017

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Tonight's picture was taken on Halloween of 2007 (Mattie was five years old). This was Mattie's last Halloween before he was diagnosed with cancer. That year Mattie wanted to be an air force pilot. We looked high and low for such a costume but the best I could find was a navy pilot's costume. When I told my former student and friend who is a retired lieutenant colonel in the air force, she rectified the problem immediately. My friend sent me all sorts of air force patches to sew into Mattie's costume. So the costume looked more authentic! Mattie was thrilled and proud of his costume that year.  



Quote of the day: Candy is natures way of making up for Mondays. ~ Rebecca Gober



I can't believe that Halloween is fast approaching. What this means is soon I will be inundated with candy! All sorts of candy coming to us from DC, Maryland, and Virginia. I even have people sending me checks for our candy drive from other parts of the Country! I honestly never knew there was such a calling for candy! 
This will be Mattie Miracle's 7th annual candy drive this year. I must admit that if Mattie did not have cancer, it probably would never have dawned on me that families in the hospital need candy, particularly chocolate. I think the natural tendency when we think of the hospital is to want to provide patients and families healthy foods. Maybe in theory, the reality is quite different. 

As a parent, you are tired, stressed out, and working around the clock to provide care and support for your child in the hospital. This intensity burns up calories and I found when friends brought me chocolate, it made me happier (very relative of course) and it boosted my energy so I could take on the next task, fight the next battle, advocate for Mattie with the next person who walked in our room, and the list went on. I was lucky however that I had a support community who brought me such daily treats for over a year. Other families are not so lucky, which is why the snack and item carts at two local hospitals are vital and greeted with enthusiasm. My point is I learned first hand what needed to go on these carts and I feel strongly about carrying on this special tradition that Mattie's support community started for us in 2008. 

This morning we got a Google alert about our own Candy Drive. Rather hysterical. NBC4 did a segment about what to do with all your Halloween Candy, and apparently #2 on this list is to donate it to us! Mattie Miracle had no contact with NBC4, but clearly they found out about our candy drive through social media. Check out the link below, especially second 58. It would have been great if NBC4 flashed our website or logo in this news piece, but it's okay! We NEVER have a problem receiving candy donations, in fact it is hard to imagine SO MUCH candy is out there in our community. 


NBC 4 Video (check out second 58):
https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/4-Ways-to-Avoid-Halloween-Candy-Overload_Washington-DC-452709323.html

No comments: