Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 29, 2017

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2008. Mattie was in the hospital recovering from his second limb salvaging surgery. It was practically impossible for him to move since three out of his four limbs were operated on, bandaged, and attached to all sorts of monitors. Yet with Mattie's one free leg, who was nicknamed George (for Curious George), he was able to play on the computer. Mattie used George and his left foot like an arm and hand. It was truly remarkable to watch him in motion. Given the severity of his issues and the pain he was in, I still don't know how Mattie managed each and every day. Though I remember someone once telling me...... he manages because of you (me)! A lot of it was Mattie, but it does help to have solid caregivers. 


Quote of the day: Emotions come and go and can't be controlled so there's no reason to worry about them. That in the end, people should be judged by their actions since in the end it was actions that defined everyone. ~ Nicholas Sparks



We were contacted today by Curetoday, who has learned about Mattie Miracle and wants to do an article that features the life of Mattie and our mission and work. I was very pleased to hear this, since we get their magazine and value the publication. 

The CURE magazine, is the indispensable guide to every stage of the cancer experience. With nearly 1 million readers, CURE is the largest consumer publication in the United States focused entirely on cancer, with broad distribution to cancer patients, cancer centers and advocacy groups. CURE also include its online resource, curetoday.com. 

I can't believe it is almost December. I have no idea where the Fall went. Though I must admit the candy drive is a major feat, what I find is there is never any down time to recover because our annual fund mailing has to get out ASAP. So I feel like I am always racing from one activity to another, and of course once we hit the beginning of the new year, my focus turns to fundraising and the Walk. It truly is a vicious cycle running a non-profit and makes it hard to balance other things that pop up in life like caregiving. I am signing off for tonight because on top of all of this I am balancing a major migraine. May tomorrow be a better day. Though I said that yesterday and unfortunately today has been a repeat of yesterday!  

No comments: