Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 27, 2018

Saturday, October 27, 2018

Saturday, October 27, 2018

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2009. Another highlight of our trip to NYC was seeing the Lion King. In fact, Mattie's art therapist Jenny helped us secure tickets. She got us six tickets and back stage passes. It was very exciting for Mattie to be standing on the stage after the performance and meeting Nala, one of the main characters. She was very thoughtful and kind to Mattie and I would say we all thought the show was memorable and magical. 


Quote of the day: The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. ~ Lao Tzu


My mom snapped this photo of me yesterday in Tarrytown, NY by a scarecrow. I miss seeing these quaint types of towns, as living in DC is quite different. My parents and I left NY around 11:00am, and we did not get into DC until around 5:30pm. It was a very long drive, and of course the horrible traffic popped up as soon as we hit Maryland. Otherwise, the rest of the journey was smooth sailing, even with rain and fog. 
Want to know what this wooden box is? Well apparently it is a space heater. I honestly had no idea what it was when I checked into my Marriott room on Tuesday. For the most part, the temperature in the room was fine for me. Well that was until Thursday night. By that point, it was about 65 degrees in the room and I was frigid. You know the kind of cold where you can't get warm for entire 24 hours!! 

I called in engineering to look at the room's thermostat. The engineer was lovely and he noticed this wooden box out of the corner of his eye. He asked me how long that box was in my room! I told him it was there since I checked in. He then told me that this old fashioned radio looking thing was a space heater. Which indicated to him that the room had a pervasive problem, since the heater existed in the room before I checked in. Needless to say, once I found out there was a room heater, I turned it on immediately! Just sharing this photo, in case anyone else comes across a similar device. 

My parents and I took the hotel elevator to the lobby today. When the doors opened up, I saw a familiar face. It was Joseph, the person I mentioned in Tuesday's blog. My family and I have known Joseph since 1984.... yes 34 years. Joseph has worked for this Marriott for 34 years and we got to know him each time we visited NY (we moved from NY to LA in 1984, and would come back to NY to visit friends and family quite often). Joseph was there when I finished high school, started college, celebrated my grandmother's 80th birthday and also when I got married. All events which took us East to stay at his hotel. I practically grew up with him, which is why this particular hotel holds memories for me. Of course as I always say, it isn't the building that I love, but the people in it. I was meant to see Joseph today and I will never forget how kind he was to all of us and especially my grandmother. 

No comments: