Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 22, 2018

Monday, October 22, 2018

Monday, October 22, 2018

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2004. Mattie was two and half years old and we took him to his first Fall Festival. Mattie disliked crowds and noise. We knew that from the beginning when he was a baby. So there were aspects of the community festivals that he did not like. However, Mattie enjoyed being outside, seeing, and picking pumpkins.


Quote of the day: The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you. ~ Stephanie Perkins


Though I love tonight's quote, I can't say this applies to me. As little things can upset me and then set me off for the rest of the day. I started my day with physical therapy. I think my therapist is making headway with me, but she is younger than me and is still dating her significant other. Today she was telling me about her long term boyfriend and how they are planning on getting married. Naturally I am happy for her, but then she tells me they have plotted out their life..... such as by having three children together, this gives me pause. I of course listened, but in the back of my mind, all I could think of is..... well sometimes (or most times) life does not go according to plan. What we may want doesn't mean we will get it. Childhood cancer has been the ultimate reality check for me. Of course I did not say anything to her nor do I when people all around me talk about the future. Especially when it relates to their children. To me, having a healthy child doesn't always mean the child will remain like this! I hate to say this but this dialogue is twirling around in the back of my mind whenever I see a pregnant mom now. 

On another note, I have been working with another non-profit in Virginia to include psychosocial language in the State's cancer plan. We have been working at this for two years. Finally today, I got a copy of the plan. I am thrilled to see the Psychosocial Standards of Care are listed as Goal #11 (on page 48). The goal states..... By 2022, all pediatric cancer treatment centers will commit to meeting the Psychosocial Standards of Care for Pediatric Oncology.

The 2018-2022 Virginia Cancer Plan provides a road map for the next five years to help Virginia residents address the burden of cancer. The plan provides data, guidance, information, and links to resources for all Virginians. The goals of the plan can be addressed throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia and require the engagement and collaboration of individuals and organizations
involved in cancer prevention, detection, treatment, and post treatment care for Virginia residents. Now if every other state could follow suit!!!!


Virginia State Cancer Plan Overview:

http://cancercoalitionofvirginia.org/pages/cacv-annual-reports.php


Virginia State Cancer Plan (p.48):
http://cancercoalitionofvirginia.org/PDFs/About/6655-VA-cancer-plan_2018_2022.pdf

No comments: