Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 26, 2018

Thursday, October 25, 2018

Thursday, October 25, 2018

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2009. This was our second visit to NYC, so that Mattie could start the experimental immunotherapy treatment. In order to be eligible for this drug, it had to first be administered at Memorial Sloan Kettering. Then all remaining treatments were given at Georgetown Hospital. The one positive of the trip was the hotel. When we checked in, they took one look at Mattie in his wheelchair and upgraded up to a penthouse suite. It was an incredible room and with balconies. I have to say that NYC is a challenge when you are well, but with Mattie in a wheelchair and immuno-compromised, it was practically impossible. 


Quote of the day: I tell you, in this world being a little crazy helps to keep you sane. ~ Zsa Zsa Gabor


It was a LONG day today! We got to my mom's school at 11:30am. We did not leave until 4:30pm.  This is a photo of all the inducted teachers in the Hall of Honors. It was the inaugural induction, with the hopes that more teachers can be given this distinguished honor each year. The number one criteria for being selected was that a teacher had to have provided service to the school for at least 25 years. Believe it or not, my mom was the ONLY math teacher given this honor today. A permanent plaque will be on display in the school's front entrance. 

My mom is pictured with the current principal of DeWitt Clinton High School on the left and John, the president of the school's alumni association on the right. My mom got to make a speech as well, and I was happy I got to video tape it. She spoke for about seven minutes and what was clear was she was a female pioneer at her school. Most teachers at the time were men and my mom not only taught, but developed a curriculum on statistics, helped to run the math honor society, served as a college advisor as well as the program chair. 
This was what she received to take home, but there will be a plaque just like this that will be on display at the school. 
From left to right are:

Larry Stein, David Fuchs (the principal when my mom taught at the school), Eugene Weissman (my mom's friend and also a math teacher), Ronee (Eugene's wife), and my mom. 
I would have to say that a highlight for any teacher, is when the teacher is reconnected with former students. Not to mention to learn how successive these students turned out! My mom was surrounded today.

From left to right:

Gary, David, my mom, and Terry
My mom and one of her favorite students, Gary. Gary is also a Mattie Miracle supporter. 
After the ceremony! Eugene, Ronee, my dad, my mom and me.
After the ceremony, I planned a dinner for my mom. I had one heck of a time finding this restaurant. GPS was no help and I land up in NJ, rather than in NY. So we were about 30 minutes late to a dinner a was hosting. That made me totally frazzled after a long week. 

Pictured from left to right:

Naomi (my lifetime friend's mom), my dad, Ronee, Eugene, my mom, and Gary. 

Standing from left to right: Lisa (Gary's wife), Karen (my lifetime friend) and me

The restaurant made my mom a cake to celebrate this momentum occasion!
The floral arrangement I had made. Johnston's Florist did a spectacular job. I loved talking to the florist on the phone. They captured the exact look I was hoping for!!!

Overall, it was a bittersweet day because I was surrounded by a caliber of teachers who I know no longer exist in schools today. These teachers lived and breathed their school and wanted to do whatever it took to make a difference in the lives of their students. Teachers who to this day love their colleagues, the school, and want to spend time together because of great respect. I could also see that the graduates in the auditorium still had admiration and respect for their teachers, despite the decades that have lapsed by. However, since the school was in session, I was able to see the current student body and the physical state of the facility. All I can say is some changes are not always for the better, and that things never stay as you remember them to be. 

No comments: