Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 17, 2018

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2007. Our Facebook friend, Tim, created this artistic presentation, incorporating Mattie's photo, and sent it to us today. I always look forward to Tim's surprises and though he lives out West and I have never met him, I appreciate how he helps us keep Mattie's memory alive. Tim seems to know just when a photo memory is needed, and it is a gift to get it out of the blue. 


Quote of the day: Time is not a cure for chronic pain, but it can be crucial for improvement. It takes time to change, to recover, and to make progress. ~ A Day Without Pain


I haven't been talking about my hip pain, but that doesn't mean I don't have pain. If I talked each day about my headaches, this would be a boring blog. Like the headaches, the hip problem is also chronic. I have been wondering why I am so exhausted lately. Then I thought about it..... it is pain. It prevents me from sleeping well, and then just walking around each day with constant pain is debilitating.  I want to say that the cortisone shot helped my labral hip tear, but in the process of managing that pain, new ones have presented themselves. My physical therapist is educating me about the fact that I have significant muscular issues, most likely caused from imbalances that resulted from hip pain. 

At first I thought the therapist was wrong.... how could such significant pain be from muscles? But given that I have been dealing with hip pain for months, this affected how I walked and moved, and therefore impacted my muscles. Literally she just has to touch my right leg and every muscle hurts. However, she feels we can work on these muscles with exercises and physical manipulations. 

I have learned that the thigh has three sets of strong muscles: the hamstring muscles in the back of the thigh, the quadriceps muscles in the front, and the adductor muscles on the inside. The quadriceps muscles and hamstring muscles work together to straighten (extend) and bend (flex) the leg. The adductor muscles pull the legs together.

My issues are in the quadriceps muscles at the front of the thigh and the adductor muscles. It is so bad that I am literally rolling tennis balls on my muscles to try to break down the knots. 















Meanwhile, I have a truly unstable neighbor. She lives above me. She can't stand me or Sunny. It is very clear that this woman has cynophobia, a fear of dogs. As a therapist at heart, I have empathy for her and I realize she must of had an early traumatic experience with a dog, such as being bitten or witnessing a family member being attacked. Nonetheless, she is absolutely irrational and I can't get through to her when she freaks out. 

Today, I was literally walking Sunny on a leash and coming out of a door to the outside of our complex. Unfortunately I was coming out and this woman was coming in. I have experienced her hysteria before, which is why when I see her, I try to give her a wide berth from Sunny. Today she caught me by surprise, so I was unable to back away. When she saw Sunny, she jumped in the air about a foot. Then began screaming at me. She told me dogs aren't allowed in our complex, that I should be evicted, and the list of unpleasantries continued. She told me she was going to talk to management about us. Literally I couldn't get a word in edgewise, she was just bombarding me with words and venom. She is lucky I am a stable person, because if she tried this on someone else, I literally could see this going very badly. 

Needless to say, after I walked Sunny I went to talk to our management. Keep in mind that before getting Sunny, I applied to our management to get approval to adopt Sunny. The adoption agency even spoke to our management company before signing Sunny over to us. So we are covered, but I wanted to alert our complex to this woman because I believe her goal is to make trouble for us and other neighbors who own dogs. 

Ironically Sunny is a gentle giant and I am saddened that I can't reach her to take a deep breath and learn that not all dogs are mean, vicious, or dangerous. 

1 comment:

Margy Jost said...

Vicki, I am sorry about your neighbor & her verbal attack. I understand fear of dogs. I am often afraid of a dog, I don't know. I can't imagine verbally attacking anyone walking their dog. There are times in life if our phobia gets so large that we behave so irrationally, we need to evaluate our own behavior. Clearly, at some point, there was trauma but attacking someone else isn't going to make it better. I have never met a more gentle dog than Sunny. Spending time with him could eliminate fear in one who is afraid of large dogs. He is a gentle giant