Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 10, 2018

Saturday, November 10, 2018

Saturday, November 10, 2018


Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2007. Mattie was in Boston visiting Peter's parents. As you can see they raked leaves and Mattie was swinging on a swing and then jumping off of it into a pile of leaves. I am not sure Mattie would have done this on his own, but he observed his cousins doing it and therefore decided to try it. He loved it!!!









Quote of the day: I must be a mermaid. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living. ~ Anais Nin


Today was our last day sorting candy!!! I am happy to say that we had many volunteers helping us. Which was crucial because we had 11 different organizations dropping off candy. 

Pictured from left to right:
Ben, Christine, me, Kevin, Grace, Izumi, Catherine, Sara Catherine, Carolyn, Ellie, and Gavin. 
Our friend Ali, has a two floor detached garage. If you can believe it, we used both levels today because we had so much candy and that many volunteers. We couldn't all fit in the same location. 
Volunteers switched up throughout the day. The sun light came in through the garage windows, but what I want you to see is the amount of candy. Do you see the stacks of bins behind us? That is how much candy had already been sorted and binned. What you see in front of us were the ziplocs that sort the candy by type. It is a true system to keep this set up flowing smoothly and remaining clean. 

Pictured left to right: Vicki (holding Ali's son Grayson), Catherine, Tina, Abby, Mike, Ali, Parker, Charlotte and Mary.

This was the second floor sorting zone. I would love to entitle this photo.... the Resurrection Children's Center team.... because every single person in this photo I met through Mattie's preschool. Not only the preschool, but specifically through Margaret's classroom. As a reminder Ali is Margaret's daughter. In addition, Ellie (in red, front left) and Sara Catherine (back right) were in Mattie's preschool classroom. Carolyn (front right, Ellie's mom) is a committed member of Mattie Miracle's leadership, as she runs our annual raffle every year. Catherine (in the back, in purple; Sara Catherine's mom) dedicates her time every year to help us sort thousands of pounds of candy. 

This is a photo I snapped today of Ali's children. From left to right are Grayson, Charlotte, and Parker. Literally I was working everyday this week at their home. So I got to spend a lot of time with the children. They would visit me every day after school. In any case, our time together is coming to a close and I was very touched to hear today that when I left Charlotte was upset and told her mom that she was going to miss me. She did not want to wait until May to see me at the Foundation's Walk. I was very happy to hear this as I enjoyed my time with them and I am hoping to find ways to do things with them throughout the year. Keep in mind that Charlotte is the same age as Mattie. I find that ironic in a way. When I got home I received an invitation to Charlotte's and Grayson's birthday parties. So Peter and I look forward to this. When I decided to use Ali's garage for the candy drive, it never dawned on me that in the process I would gain a relationship with three children. 

The garage at the end of the day! Candy sorted, binned, and stacked. Deliveries begin around town on Monday.... we head to Baltimore. 

No comments: