Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 16, 2019

Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 -- Mattie died 512 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2007. Look at that happy face??? Mattie loved this big kiddie pool we had on our deck. I remember pool time..... it wasn't just about getting wet. Instead, Mattie would bring many of his toys out, throw them in the water, and design all sorts of play schemes around them and the water. 











Quote of the day: The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places. ~ Ernest Hemingway


A few weeks ago, I was connected to a child with cancer who is being treated at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, MD. He was referred to us by a fellow childhood cancer non-profit. I learned that this 9 year old boy wants to go into law enforcement or the military. In fact, he loves visits from these extraordinary service providers. 

Though Mattie Miracle typically doesn't work one on one with a child and family, I decided to step beyond our mission and try to support this family. Especially since fellow advocates asked us to get involved. I gave it a lot of thought as to who to reach out to in order to request visits from law enforcement and service members. Thankfully, my friendship circle is vast. I credit that to Mattie in all honesty! While Mattie was ill, I met the most incredible people in our community who stepped up to make the impossible, slightly more bearable for us. Mind you I did not know most of the members of Team Mattie in the beginning, but over 14 months of Mattie's treatment, some became very close friends of mine. 

I will never forget toward the end of Mattie's journey, his care community wanted to grant him a wish. Something we could do as a family to make lasting memories. Several people knew Mattie loved boats and wanted to be ship captain. I can't tell you all the amazing outings that were planned for Mattie. One of which included boarding an aircraft carrier, meeting the crew, and the captain. Unfortunately Mattie wasn't physically well enough and emotionally was too fragile, therefore, we never got to visit the aircraft carrier. I have learned with childhood cancer, that if a child wants to do something, you do it. You don't wait for remission or for stability (which is actually what was recommended to us, but I think it's bad advice). Which is why I want to find ways to grant this little boy's wishes for visits. 

So what did I do? I reached out to three friends. One works for the National Capitol Police, another is a Sergeant in the Army, and my third friend was in the Navy. I can't tell you what these three amazing individuals have accomplished so far! Everything from personal visits, gifts of military badges, hats, t-shirts, and even lunch at the Pentagon. Truly remarkable the community that we have, who not only supported us with Mattie, but are there to help us carry out the mission of the Foundation! 

No comments: