Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 12, 2019

Monday, August 12, 2019

Monday, August 12, 2019

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2008. As we began to spend more and more time within the hospital, you will notice I began decorating all around the room. I would do whatever it took not to look at those stark walls all day long. That day we got a visit from Scooby Doo, a Mattie favorite! Ironically after Mattie died, I met the father of the young fellow playing Scooby Doo. What are the chances of this happening?


Quote of the day: The greater the difficulty, the more glory in surmounting it. Skillful pilots gain their reputation from storms and tempests. ~ Epicetus


Yesterday at 5pm, we set sail from Saguenay to Prince Edward Island. Honestly Saguenay reminded me of Alaska. Absolute natural beauty in a area carved by ancient glaciers. It was very reminiscent of our Alaska cruise together! A sight that I know Peter would have loved. Typically I am not taking outside photos, Peter does that on our trips. So to me these our my Peter-isms. 
Do you see why Saguenay is sought after for its beauty? This national fjord park is 65 miles long and two miles wide and has 54 species of fish. It is remarkable to be able to sail right through this fjord and see it from this vantage point. 

Notice the white speck in the middle of the mountain?
Here's a close up! It can only be seen by water. It is called the Lucky Lady. Or the Notre Dame du Saguenay statue. It is a regional landmark, standing more than 980 feet above the water. It is 32 feet high and weights three tons. Sculpted in 1881 out of solid white pine, the statue is covered in lead to protect it from the weather and is considered the fjord's protector. 
Today is a sea day. It takes a bit of time to get from Saguenay to Prince Edward Island. But the one big difference is the sun is out!!! No rain. Despite the sun it feels like a brisk Fall day outside. 
It is a beautiful view and I captured the Captain's deck in this photo, to give some perspective to the vastness of sailing on the water. 
I opened my cabin door today and Princess surprised me with a Happy Birthday sign. 
We had a slower day today, which is appreciated after many days of 5am or 6am wake ups. Touring around the ship, we found a section of the art gallery dedicated to Picasso. These are real Picasso's and they are for sale!
Loved the info! It reminded me of my art lessons at Mattie's school. Which I did for 7 years, educating kindergartners about Picasso and Matisse. 

Signing off for today (since I am using the Ship's internet) and look forward to having internet connectivity tomorrow! 

No comments: