Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 26, 2019

Saturday, October 26, 2019

Saturday, October 26, 2019

Tonight's picture was taken on Halloween of 2002. It was Mattie's first Halloween and though he had no idea what was going on, I decided to snap a photo of him next to our pumpkin. Frankly I think the pumpkin weighed more than Mattie!


Quote of the day: A wonderful gift may not be wrapped as you expect.
~ Jonathan Lockwood Huie


As I know Halloween is fast approaching, I am trying to address all sorts of big Foundation issues ahead of time, because once candy starts coming in, I am inundated for two weeks. Do not ask me how I can sit at the computer for hours and create logos for our Walk t-shirt, a new design for the 2020 Walk, not to mention write some sort of greeting to deliver at the upcoming Fall Event that "Friends of Mattie Miracle" are hosting for the Foundation. In some ways, it feels like the lost day. But I have many of these kind of days, because we have no staff. Anything that gets done for Mattie Miracle typically comes from me. Which can be wonderful but it is also daunting. 

The highlight of the day however, is a phone call Peter received from a mutual friend this morning. We have been friends sine 2007, as his daughter is Charlotte, and Charlotte was Mattie's "girlfriend." In any case, Peter was invited to attend the World Series game tonight. Totally a remarkable invitation, since we know that standing room tickets are going for $1,000 a ticket. In any case, I am happy Peter can get out with a good friend and see something he loves.... baseball. Of course, I can't help but wonder what would have happened to Mattie and Charlotte's relationship if he remained alive. As they both were convinced they would go to college together, be roommates, and even marry. It was a special friendship that I won't ever forget. As they gravitated to each other on the FIRST day of kindergarten and Charlotte remained a faithful friend throughout Mattie's cancer journey. Which is no easy feat, since visiting a child with cancer in the hospital is not for the meek. But Charlotte not only visited Mattie, she did it with love, patience, and deep understanding. So I remind myself that Peter and Charlotte's dad became and stay connected because of the beautiful friendship our children shared. 

No comments: