Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 19, 2020

Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2008. This was Mattie's first month in the hospital receiving treatment. Mattie's room came with a big white erase board. We used that board to communicate with the nurses and to also record Mattie's inputs and outputs. However, that afternoon, Mattie erased the board and decided to draw! Not sure exactly what he created but if you look closely there were two blue people with umbrellas who looked like they were getting devoured by this big bug! Mattie loved bugs and the since the whole notion was creepy to me, my reaction to bugs inspired Mattie's interest even more. 



Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins

  • number of people diagnosed with the virus: 5,524,398
  • number of people who died from the virus: 172,965

I received this photo from Peter this morning! Our floor and air conditioning unit are fixed and back to looking good again. I am grateful to all the hard working folks in our complex, who have looked after us for decades! One less thing for me to worry about when I return. 

It was another red letter day in "paradise." As always my day started at 6:15am. In addition all my other tasks, I took on a few more projects for my mom today. One of which was to get a refund on their December air line tickets. Pre-COVID and before my dad's decline, we had plans to go on a Christmas cruise together. As Peter and I know all too well, life can change on a dime. 

My parents already bought their airline tickets for December and in May my mom wrote a refund request letter to American Airlines and mailed it. With it she included a medical letter signed by my dad's physician. Yet four months later my parents have yet to hear from the airline and of course there has been NO refund processed. So I decided to call American Airlines. Get this, I waited on line to talk to a live human being for 90 minutes. I think I should have received a gold star for hanging in there. However, once a representative heard my concerns, she explained that my parents had to cancel their airline reservation first before they can apply for a refund. Really? Why did my mom receive different instructions in May????? I know airlines are on overload now because of COVID and therefore, I am tried to be patient.

I wasn't too successful on the patience front! The representative gave me two choices, 1) cancel my parent's flight reservation or 2) wait until December, when American will most likely change the flight number and time of departure and then apply for the refund. She let me know that using option #2, would most likely enable me to get the refund faster! REALLY??? I lost it. As she wanted me to wait until December, with the HOPES that the airline would change the flight number and time. What if that doesn't happen, then what? I told her there were too many if's and I need to work the problem and with certainties. 

I learned today that American Airlines NO LONGER gives ticket holders a refund for medical excuses! DID YOU HEAR WHAT I AM SAYING?!!! So I said, if my parents don't get their money reimbursed, then what? The answer is they get credit on their account to pay for another airline ticket in ONE YEAR'S time! Also ridiculous, and as I reminded her, my dad is UNABLE to fly period. A one year grace period won't cut it. 

Given all I am balancing, today's call caused me to become dizzy while on the phone. The dizziness triggered a migraine and intense nausea. As soon as I got off the phone, I popped my migraine and nausea meds. I pushed through the issues and within two hours, I felt more stabilized. 

No comments: