Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 25, 2020

Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Tonight's picture was taken on November 23, 2008. We were home from the hospital for about two weeks, so Mattie could recover from his limb salvaging surgeries. We may have been at home, but Mattie still went into clinic weekly to receive his immunotherapy medication and for check ups. Nonetheless, to accommodate Mattie's recovery, our living room was transformed into a make shift hospital. We had a hospital bed delivered and a commode. As you can see Nurse Patches, our calico cat, stuck close to Mattie. 


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins.

  • number of people diagnosed with the virus: 12,769,915
  • number of people who died from the virus: 262,132



This morning while looking out the window while having breakfast, I saw this. We have a resident squirrel. He picks oranges and then sits on the wall and eats them. He is a riot to watch. His life is made with all the fruit trees around here. In any case, this was the most peaceful part of my day, and I celebrate the small things. 














Today was our LAST lunch out! We said good-bye to all the wonderful servers, the managers and the owner of Paty's Restaurant. Paty's has been in Burbank, CA for over 50 years. Like my parents there are lots of other steady customers. So much so, that  even I recognize them! As we were walking out of the restaurant a couple of diners, in their 70s, stopped us. They commiserated about the closing of restaurants and we are hold out hope that the County reconsiders, because right now outdoor dining is planned to be closed at least through January. In any case, this couple wished us a Happy Thanksgiving. I am telling you it is Burbank's equivalent to Cheers. 

This evening I baked an apple pie. The recipe I use belongs to my husband's family. To me it is the best apple pie ever. 

What do you think of my lattice?
Okay here is the trick! The pie is baked at 450 degrees in a stapled paper bag. Why? Well first it traps all juices so they don't go all over the oven, but it also locks the juices in! To me the bag is the secret ingredient. 
The final product! Recently I learned the benefits of using an egg wash on top of a pie. It helps it cook more evenly and gives it an even brown color on top!
Meanwhile, check this out! Sunny has taken over the couch and enjoys a cat nap with Peter's mom. 



1 comment:

Cheryl said...

That pie is just beautiful!! I've never heard of baking a pie in a paper bag before. I'm going to have to get that recipe from you or Barbara. It looks amazing!

Cheryl