Wednesday, July 29, 2026
Tonight's picture was taken on July 20, 2002, at Mattie's baptism. By that point, Mattie was three months old. The officiant of this special ceremony was Father Jim. I met Jim at the George Washington University, as he was running the Newman Center on the campus at that time. In fact, it was Jim who gave me my first therapy client to counsel under his supervision. I will never for that client, I will never forget Jim, and I truly believe Jim is a gifted priest. Jim was also the officiant at Mattie's funeral. The reason I love this photo was because Jim's raised pointer finger was signaling to our friends and family that in his many baptisms over the years, there was only one child who loved being dunked in water, and landed up laughing after being dunked.... and that was Mattie Brown!
Quote of the day: There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature. ~ Jane AustenThis morning, after I dropped my dad off at his memory care center, the doorbell rang. I answered it and was greeted with this beautiful flower arrangement from my friend, Christine. As you can see my friends know I love flowers and particularly flowers with Mattie Miracle themed colors. Many of my close friends were met through Mattie. Christine's son and Mattie were in kindergarten together and in many ways they were inseparable. Mattie was nervous about starting kindergarten but it was thanks to having a close buddy like Campbell, that Mattie had a stellar first year of elementary school. Naturally as the boys were friends, I got to spend time with Christine. We just clicked from day one and have been connected ever since.
Today several of my friends came over to celebrate my birthday. As you can imagine, I didn't feel like celebrating, but my friend Ann encouraged me to be open to this and she coordinated the day. Ann is the person wearing the sunglasses. I met all these friends who came over today through Mattie's preschool in 2005! We are still friends today and all to them are devoted to Mattie Miracle. For those of you unfamiliar with my story, Ann was the leader of Team Mattie, a network of friends who delivered food to us for over a year (everyday!!!) in the hospital and provided gifts of all kinds to Mattie practically daily to weekly! In addition, Ann's husband was Mattie's surgeon who performed his limb salvaging surgeries. I say this because Ann and I have been through life and death moments together.
After swimming, we had lunch on the porch and a carvel ice cream cake. I did not worry about food, Ann managed all of it, and I only set the table!
My friends showered me with gifts and gift cards!
In my mailbox today, were two small boxes. When I opened them, I found this lovely desk plaque. It reads:







No comments:
Post a Comment