Saturday, August 15, 2026
Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2005. This was what our summers used to look like, as every August, I would take Mattie to California to visit my parents. Though my parents lived in Los Angeles, we would drive to San Diego for an adventure for a few days. One of the places Mattie absolutely loved visiting there was Legoland. I am so glad I did not wait to take Mattie on planes and on trips, because in our case tomorrow never came.
Quote of the day: Cooking is one of the great gifts you can give to those you love. ~ Ina Garten
I took my parents to a restaurant in Great Falls, VA that I have been going to for years. I can't tell you how many wedding anniversaries and birthdays I celebrated in this spot. So it holds bittersweet memories for me. In fact, I don't like hearing about weddings and anniversaries also make me jumpy. But since my parents were celebrating their 66th anniversary, I wanted to make it special for them. Unfortunately my dad no longer remembers his anniversary, he doesn't recall his wedding, or any thing about that day in 1960! Keep in mind that he thinks we are in the month of January right now! If I sat with his memory issues long enough, it could be very upsetting, but truly given my own heartbreak with my marriage, I do not have the bandwidth to process my daily dementia nightmare.
Yesterday evening I washed and blow dried my mom's hair for the occasion. She no longer is able to wash her own hair. I knew she'd feel better about herself if her hair looked nice, and I am so glad I made the time to do this. I may not be able to afford gifts for my parents, but it is the daily things that I do, which hopefully make a difference.
One of the managers at the restaurant brought us over champagne and this wonderful dessert. I am a huge meringue fan and under the meringue was homemade chocolate ice cream.
On Sunday, one of my mom's former students will be in town with his wife. I learned about this two days ago. In any case, after taking my parents out today, I came home and prepped breakfast items for tomorrow. If you know me, then you know if you visit, I will be feeding you.
I got out my cookbook and was busy for hours. When I moved into this house in 2021, I had recipes and notes about cooking all over the place. My other half took it upon himself to organize it all by category and made this wonderful binder for me. How on this green earth can I have the binder, and yet not be married?
I baked a lemon blueberry loaf tonight, with a fresh lemon glaze. I happen to love this and can't quite determine if it is a bread or a dessert. Nonetheless to me fresh blueberries and lemon are a wonderful combination.
I put together a fruit plate! Do you see the grapes? They are called moon drops. I found them at the grocery store this week, and as soon as I saw the word MOON, they were calling my name.
I put together a fruit plate! Do you see the grapes? They are called moon drops. I found them at the grocery store this week, and as soon as I saw the word MOON, they were calling my name.
Ironically this ceramic plate (with ceramic fruit handles) was given to us as a wedding gift. Again, how on earth do I still have the platter, but am divorced? I am not sure I will ever accept this reality, mainly because I always loved my other half.
I then baked a spinach, shallot, cheddar and parmesan cheese frittata! Frittatas, to me, always taste better the next day when reheated!.jpg)





No comments:
Post a Comment