Thursday, September 10, 2026Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2009. Mattie's pool was on the deck, but unlike previous summers, Mattie couldn't go in it. He had a Broviac catheter which was a central venous catheter used for long-term delivery of fluids, medications, or blood products. We avoided getting the catheter wet, to avoid infection. Instead, Mattie decide to pilot his remote controlled motor boat.... it was Captain Mattie at his best!
Quote of the day: But I guess death is like that. It takes away from you in an instant the people you've cherished for a whole lifetime. Just like that. As simple as that. And you are suddenly left with two things: anger for having been deprived of your beloved for no reason at all; and emptiness, a vacuum that gnaws right at your heart where all the joyful moments once had been. ~ Jocelyn Soriano

Last night, we received this wonderful board game from my dear friend, Cheryl. I call her my friend, but technically we were once related through my marriage. Cheryl has been on my Mattie journey with me from day one and has read my thoughts, words, feelings, and ups and downs for 18 years. Cheryl introduced us to Blokus! I have to admit, I was never a board game player as a kid. I am not sure why but I think as a child games made me anxious. I was always afraid of not being able to understand how to play or to look inferior to other players. Now at this point in my life, I am completely different. I have survived so much, and have found a way through, that if I don't understand something, I take a deep breath and find a way through. Just like Cheryl mentioned, Blokus is easy to understand and play. In actuality, it is very strategic. As you have to creatively place pieces on the board, so that they touch by their corners. I can imagine the more I play the game, the more I will be able to figure out how to place as many of my colored pieces on the board. Any case, we played a round after dinner last night. My mom was red, my dad was blue and I was yellow. I played my pieces and also worked with my dad on his pieces. I am truly finding that games keep them both engaged and focused and it gives us something productive to do together!It was a busy day with both of my parents having a physical therapy session, I completed a ton of chores, and I took my parents out to lunch. We visit the same restaurant every Thursday. I know most of the servers there and each week they fill me in on their lives. Today, one of the servers pulled up a chair and sat with us for ten minutes, as we listened about his landlord issues. Then another server came up to us and told us that seeing us brightens up his day, as we are always so kindness and thoughtful. I may not have my usual social circle, but I have developed a bunch of connections with lovely hard working people who try to make my parent's visits comfortable and happy.
I opened my mailbox today and received this beautiful heartfelt card and pop up flowers from Children's Hospital at Sinai. Mattie Miracle works closely with this hospital in Baltimore. This meaningful tribute was in honor of Mattie's 17th anniversary of his death this week.
At around 5pm, I went outside to the front yard and massively trimmed all the bushes in this island. Every bush was out of control and growing into the other. I got out the hedge trimmer and shaped everything and cleaned up debris. I know it is hard to believe, but this took me two hours. I should have taken a before photo, but trust me, things were overgrown. Can you see the bigger bush with purple flowers on the right? This is a butterfly bush. We planted this entire island when we moved into the house. Given my love of all things butterfly, I was thrilled that we planted a butterfly bush. Throughout the spring and summer, this bush is alive with flutterbys!
No comments:
Post a Comment