A Remembrance Video of Mattie

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to me that you take the time to write and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful and help support me through very challenging times. I am forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically have stopped writing on September 9, 2010. However, like my journey with grief there is so much that still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with me, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki



September 30, 2026

Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2004. Mattie was two years old and this was classic Mattie. He loved our living room window, getting as close to it as possible, and walking behind my plant stand. What you can't see is on the plant stand was Patches' cat bed. I put it up there to give her some safe space from little hands. Mattie wanted desperately to get up to that level to inspect the cat bed. Mattie was a busy little fellow, his body and mind were always in motion, therefore, as a result, I learned to work with his style!




Quote of the day: The kindest and best caregivers are those who realize that it could easily be them in the weaker one's place; they do not distance the one in need by making them an "other." ~ Pamela Cox


It was another busy day on the farm. My mom had her physical therapy session at 10am. Given that I had a doctor appointment at the hospital today, I did not send my dad to his memory care center. I just couldn't juggle that on top of everything else. My doctor's appointment was at 2:30pm, and it is about a 30 minute commute each way. Given that my mom likes going out each day, I timed a visit to the frozen yogurt store after my mom's therapy session and before my visit to the hospital. That may sound all well and wonderful, but it was stressful. My parents move slowly and taking them out requires a lot of coordination and when I have a time deadline, the pressure on me is even more significant. Of course while at the yogurt store, my dad had an irritable bowel attack. Needless to say, I got him home, changed him completely and then scrambled to get everything I needed to go to my appointment. By the time I got to the hospital, I felt like I ran a marathon. 

When I got to the fifth floor of the hospital, they had a greeter by the elevator. She looked at me and deduced I was seeing an OB! Rather hysterical, as I don't look pregnant and I am too old to have a child. But I went with it! Any case, though I do not like these gynecology visits, I happen to like my doctor. She is fantastic, competent, and good at what she does. I also like that she coordinates my care with the breast specialist I see yearly. 

The gynecologist could not believe that I am a full time caregiver. When she asked how long I have been doing this, I could see a level of shock came over her when I said five years. As I said to her today...... you only get ONE CHANCE to do a good job at caregiving, because the one certainty is it is a finite role. As caregiving typically involves providing support to someone who is not growing, maturing, and gaining independence. Instead, caregiving for an older adult, means constant changes, constant declines, and with that it forces you to learn new physical and cognitive strategies and also face the hard emotional reality of the daily loss in front of you. 

Why am I showing you a photo of shoes? Well Clark's (one of  my favorite shoe companies) was having a shoe sale last week. Since my separation/divorce, I have not purchased one piece of clothing, shoes, or anything for myself. I am constantly buying things for my parents, but for myself, forget it. Before my other half left, I was a big shoe fan. Some women like purses, clothing, etc! Me it is shoes! 

My shoes arrived at my doorstep today, and to me it was like winning the lottery. I am very excited to have a new pair of shoes and I love the tortoise shell pattern in the front along with the metal links! 

I remember after Mattie died, I also did not want to purchase anything new. There was a feeling of guilt associated with being alive and having the ability to purchase an item. I can still recall the very first item that I purchased after Mattie died. It took my over a year to make a purchase, and it was of a crushed velvet shirt. I still have this shirt, and I typically wear it every Christmas. That shirt symbolized my ability to see that I mattered, that I was part of the world, and that it was okay to purchase something (without it being disrespectful of Mattie). Ironically these shoes are also symbolic to me..... they are a reminder that I know who I am and the kind of person I am, and I will not be allowed to be mistreated ever again. 

No comments: