Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 22, 2013

Monday, July 22, 2013

Monday, July 22, 2013

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2008, about two weeks before Mattie's cancer diagnosis. Peter and I took Mattie to Roosevelt Island that weekend and as you can see he wanted to walk ahead of us and explore. Notice carefully that in Mattie's right hand was a stick. A tell tale sign you were walking with Mattie. Mattie always found a stick on every one of his walks and usually came home with it as well! I reflect on this photo because it seemed to capture such a peaceful and innocent time with no indication at all that within a matter of days our lives would be permanently altered.



Quote of the day: Anyone who's lost someone to cancer will say this, that you have to struggle to try to remember the person before the diagnosis happened, because they really do change - as anyone would change. ~ Mindy Kaling


Five years ago today, we were still living in the land of the innocent, the naïve, and the lucky. Peter and I experienced the usual stresses, just like everyone else and we worried about the things that parents of typically developing children face. I remember back then my biggest concerns were how was I going to teach Mattie to ride a two wheel bicycle, would I be able to teach him to read, understand math, make friends, etc. I did not realize how lucky I was to have those every day and NORMAL concerns!!! I took them for granted.


I may always be saddened when July 23 approaches! As if the sadness is hard wired within me. In fact, it isn't like I go to the calendar and say.... okay it is July, so now I have to be sad. I just hits me and when I am perplexed by this, I have those around me who remind me that the sadness makes sense to them given the anniversary of Mattie's diagnosis day. 

On July 23, 2008, Mattie was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma. A day I will never forget. The old saying, "what a difference a day makes" couldn't be more true when contending with a cancer diagnosis. On July 22, the future seemed possible and typical everyday stresses now seem like gifts. What do I mean? When I hear moms complain about carpools, fixing lunches, homework, school events and commitments, and the list goes on, I want to stop and let them know that the alternative to their complaints isn't good. I know full well what I am talking about because I live the alternative 356 days a year, 24 by 7.

Today was a full day of chores and Foundation work. I am trying to wrap some things up so that we can leave town on Wednesday. But today seemed non- stop. In the midst of running around, the highlight of my day was seeing my friend Tina. It wasn't a planned visit, which may actually be the best kind. Just a spur of the moment visit to say hello. Before I met Tina, I made the unfortunate decision to sit outside while on an hour long Foundation conference call. While sitting outside, I was attacked by mosquitoes. So by the time I got to Tina, I was itching all over. Thankfully Tina had an arsenal of supplies at her house to help me. Now I can say I am feeling much better thanks to my friend who came to my rescue!
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Vicki and Peter,
I am so sorry today is a tragedy for you most probobly. Now whenever I here July 23rd I will be devastated