Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 16, 2015

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2006. We took Mattie on the Jungle Queen, a riverboat that sailed around Fort Lauderdale into one of the inlets where we got to see all sorts of animals and even met this man that claimed to "tame" alligators! Mattie loved boats back then and his goal was always to save money to buy a boat. NOT a toy boat, but a real one. He wanted to be a captain of a boat some day! 





Despite being stressed out over a conference call today, I got out of my home at lunch time and met my friend Annie for lunch. I met Annie in 2010, after both of our children died from cancer. We attended a lobbying day on Capitol Hill together. We have been friends EVER since! Annie lives in Charlottesville, VA but whenever she comes into town, we always meet up. I am so happy to have Annie in my life because we see eye to eye on many things. When the world can't possible get what is going on in our minds and hearts, we get each other! Because I did not want to stray far from home, I asked Annie to meet me in DC. I haven't been to the Hotel Lombardy in years!!! I used to host events at this hotel when I worked at the University. It is a boutique hotel and absolutely darling. Old world in which there are still bellman and people who greet you at the door and are courteous. I assure you it makes a HUGE difference!

I have gotten to know one of the bellman at the hotel over the past two weeks. Mainly because I wanted to find the right location for Annie and I to have lunch at which it wouldn't be too hectic and congested. Everything around me in the city is chaotic! But when you visit the Hotel Lombardy it is simply peaceful! In any case, the bellman this week recognized me from last week and we chatted again. He greeted me by kissing my hand! Honestly where do you get this anymore???? Well the tone he sets as soon as you walk in the door makes a big difference with all the guests because what I found was that the guests landed up talking to one another in the lobby. I link that directly to the warm and inviting atmosphere and tone set by the bellmen. In any case, I am ready to move in!

Annie and I ate in the Venetian Room today and the windows are huge. The sun was shining and despite it being cold out, it changed the tone of how I was feeling. As Peter says often, I am directly affected by people and the atmosphere around me. He is absolutely right!!! People and my atmosphere can truly energize me or suck the energy right out of me. Thankfully Annie gave me the energy and courage I needed to move on with my day. 

Before I headed home and onto my call, I stopped off at our local market and bought flowers for my friend's birthday tomorrow. I created this arrangement. As I was walking home, I passed our local homeless shelter. The men sitting outside looked up at me and said.... now there is a lady who is prettier than the flowers she is carrying! I thanked them for that lovely compliment. Again, something else that made me feel good before having to muster up energy for a 90 minute phone call. 

I made it through my call. But it wasn't easy. The call centered a great deal on lobbying issues and I am not a lobbyist. Yet I was determined to get one of the issues I am passionate about across. I wasn't sure how to do this since I am unfamiliar with this group and the people on the call. I did not want to be disrespectful. Nonetheless, I am passionate about the cause of psychosocial care and what it means for children and families. Needless to say, I got my point across.  

No comments: