Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 23, 2017

Saturday, September 23, 2017

Saturday, September 23, 2017

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2009. I literally came across this photo on the blog as I was sifting through it the other day. This photo was no longer in my electronic files. So thank goodness for the blog, because it houses all the photos I took from July 2008 to September of 2009. It is like my Mattie archive! I am so happy I took this photo years ago, because it captured Mattie's love for locomotion. He loved building all sorts of tracks and watching his trains or cars maneuver on them. Mattie could be engaged in such an activity for hours...... well as long as he had Peter or me at his side. As Mattie was a social fellow and fed off of his interactions with others.  


Quote of the day: Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care. ~ Theodore Roosevelt



Today we got together with one of Peter's childhood friends, Cassandra and her husband Charlie. Peter hasn't seen Cassandra for decades. Cassandra knows all about our situation from reading the blog and following us on Facebook. As is typical with me, I find that more people know about me, then I know about them. Cassandra wanted us to introduce her to Roosevelt Island and to also meet Sunny.

It was a delightful weather day in DC, it felt like summer. Sunny was thrilled to have a Roosevelt Island walk. While walking, we humans were busy talking and not paying attention to our surroundings. But guess who was fixated on his environment? SUNNY! Sunny literally stopped in his tracks and wanted to head right into the woods. When we looked over in the direction Sunny was pointing, we saw this female deer! 


Next to the female deer was a fawn. A tiny little thing. Sunny did not bark at all. When Peter held him back on the leash, he behaved and just watched the deer! Like the rest of us! We go to the Island often, but deer are NOT a common sighting. Especially when the Island is busy with people, like today. 
Another unlikely sighting was this beautiful turtle. He literally was walking in the vegetation by the side of the trail. An unusual place to find him. Sunny was NOT at all interested in the turtle! But today is case in point why Roosevelt Island is a little gem near the heart of the city. You can always find something in nature to spot and check out. Which maybe why it was one of our favorite weekend places to walk with Mattie. 
After our walk, we dropped Sunny back at home, and then went out for brunch. We tried a restaurant I had heard about in Arlington, VA called the Green Pig Bistro. Does the name get you, like it does me? Well they feature pork on the menu, which explains the "pig" and the "green" comes from the local produce featured on the menu. 

I have heard of fried chicken and waffles for years now. Today, I gave in and tried it. Only because I saw the table next to us was eating this dish while we were ordering and it looked intriguing. I would say it was very tasty, but that I also don't need to eat for the rest of the day! 



1 comment:

Margy Jost said...

Vicki, I have never been to ROOSEVELT ISLAND. I need to go some time with Ken & walk a trail!

Thanks for posting a picture of Mattie & his locomotion. His pictures tell a story about his life too!

A true quote - copying in my book of Vicki quotes!