Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 15, 2020

Monday, June 15, 2020

Monday, June 15, 2020


Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2006. That weekend we took Mattie to San Diego. Mattie loved this part of California, as there was just so much to do outside. Mattie thrived on being in the outdoors, and did not enjoy being cooped up inside. That day we took him to Balboa Park. Balboa Park is a lot like Griffith Park in Los Angeles. In the sense that it is filled with all sorts of activities and even a zoo. Mattie loved the model railroad museum at Balboa Park, the San Diego Zoo, and the carousel. It is such a beautifully planned park that all of us enjoyed visiting it!











Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins.
  • number of people diagnosed with the virus: 2,111,622
  • number of people who died from the virus: 116,114



It was another busy day. I woke up at 6:30am. Got myself ready, and then helped my dad shower and change into clean clothes. He has a very bad pressure sore on his spine, that we are monitoring and making sure it remains closed. With the hopes that it will heal. 

Though my dad has a few physical limitations, on the whole he is strong and is capable. The main issues are cognition and chronic exhaustion. After the shower, my dad had to lie down and rest. He ate breakfast in his recliner, as he did not have the energy to sit at the breakfast table with us. After eating, he slept until Jon, the physical therapist, arrived. Jon is downright lovely! He made my dad work for about 60 minutes today. What Jon's exercises prove to me is that my dad can physically walk and exercise. But when Jon is not around, my dad chooses not to do his exercises. 

It is hard to fight stubborn, hard headed, and his aggressiveness at times. 
I call this the ballet plie! 
Jon gave my dad a new exercise today, which illustrated to me his upper body strength. 


I would say that Jon was the highlight of the day, as everything else went downhill from there. Peter called my parent's movers. Though the company acknowledges that my parent's made an inquiry, my parents never booked moving dates. So though Peter and I were prepared for a Thursday and Friday move, the movers weren't! Peter explained the situation, and the company is trying to arrange for movers on June 22. Needless to say, Peter decided to stay in LA with me another week, rather than return to DC. As it really takes both of us to manage care and the move! Things now are not stable, and I am under no delusion that things will return to normal. 

Which is why I have been working with a caregiving agency to work on respite details, so that my mom gets daily/weekly breaks. Fortunately caregiving is not new to me, but I have to admit, caring for a loved one with dementia has a different set of challenges from a stroke and cancer. Things I am more familiar with! 

I would have to say that today was not a good eating day! My dad ate very little, and though we try to explain the importance of nutrition and drinking fluids, we aren't getting very far. For me, I am very sensitive to the stresses of those around me, so I am not sleeping or digesting food very well. 

No comments: