Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 7, 2020

Sunday, June 7, 2020

Sunday, June 7, 2020

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2009. Mattie was in the hospital recovering from a sternotomy. In which his chest was opened up to remove 9 lung tumors. That evening Mattie's day nurse, Sarah Marshall, and his night nurse, Ellen came in and gave him a kiss on his head. Notice that Mattie did not seem to notice! But don't let that fool you. Mattie was processing everything going on in the room and also multitasking with his coloring book. 






Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins
  • number of people diagnosed with the virus: 1,928,594
  • number of people who died from the virus: 110,110

We are now done with all Virtual Walk admin work and are getting ready to board Sunny and Indie tomorrow. As Tuesday, we fly to Los Angeles. This isn't the best time to travel, but given that my parents need help, we are proceeding forward with our arrangements. For those of you just tuning in, my dad was rushed to the hospital on Friday, May 29 at around 10pm. He had fallen for a second time and when the paramedics came, his vitals were anything but stable. My dad did not want to go to the hospital, but the paramedics said they couldn't leave him at home. That he had to go! It was a matter of life or death. 

Naturally with COVID-19, my mom was not able to accompany my dad to the hospital. This alone is a psychosocial stressor for all of us, including my dad. Because my dad was really too sick to understand what was going on and without family oversight, we do not have a good idea for how he was behaving in the hospital. Meaning specifically was he eating and was he disoriented/confused? 

My dad was released from the hospital on June 3, at 5pm. This was contrary to what his family wanted, but he was cleared by all his doctors and his physical therapist. Therefore, we had no recourse to fight this decision. My mom picked up my dad at the hospital and then had a rough transition home with my dad, mainly because my dad needs a lot of assistance. The in-home care services prescribed by his doctor did not show up for two days and even when this nurse came, he only did a basic assessment and offered no help. So you got to love the hospital's decision to release my dad, regardless of whether his home environment was ready and able to assist him! Says a lot about our medical system and health insurers! 

Since June 3, progress has been made. My dad no longer is hiccuping! That's a great milestone and he is now able to get out of chair and take a few steps unassisted by my mom. Another great feat! But the big obstacles are that my dad isn't eating, says he isn't hungry, and he reports being very disoriented. He can be talking to you, and mid-sentence he forgets what we are talking about. He is very aware of his confusion and naturally being cognitively impaired is very scary! But what accounts for this disorientation? Is it temporary or permanent!? A great question and no one seems to know the answer! 

In the midst of all of this going on, my parents also have to move out of the house they are renting. As the owner wants it back! Got to love an owner who has NO heart or compassion, as these are older adults being asked to move during COVID-19 and while my dad is recovering from kidney stone surgery and a bad urinary tract infection. So Peter and I will be working around the clock to help stabilize things and to transition my parents to their new home. 

To prepare to leave for Los Angeles, there is so much we have had to do. Everything from putting together food and treats for Sunny and Indie to creating the framework for 22 days of blogs while I am away. It is hard to leave Sunny, especially as he is still recovering from his own surgery, but we can't balance it all. I know the facility Sunny will be staying at has an on-site hospital if he should need medical attention of any kind and our vet loves Indie. I am told they are all awaiting Miss Indie's arrival! 



No comments: