Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 16, 2020

Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2006. My parents were visiting and my mom took this photo. I have very few photos of the three of us together. So when I find one, it is special! Mattie was always so full of energy, that to snap a photo, we practically had to hug him down!



Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins.

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 16,885,623
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 306,363


Here's the big news in our home today! A press release went out about Peter's new job! That may not sound significant, but it truly is! Peter has been looking for a job since November of 2019. COVID-19 did not help matters job wise. Being without work has great social and emotional consequences on a person, and though it wasn't me who was looking for a job, I feel equally excited because I was invested in the process and the day to day concerns and discussions. Now that Peter is back to work full-time, it is yet again another adjustment for me. As I got used to sharing the load of our daily activities together. I can't tell you how many walks we took on Roosevelt Island together, talking and brainstorming the job search this year. 

Peter's Press Release: 

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/thornberry-names-peter-brown-new-president-and-ceo-301193987.html


It was quite a weather day in Washington, DC! Our first snow fall for the season. It was a cold, snowy, and sleeting day. Not a lot of accumulation, but definitely cold and enough to make commuting difficult. 

Sunny and I walked a very peaceful Roosevelt Island today. The only people out walking were with dogs or children! Both of which need exercise and fresh air. 

As we were leaving the parking lot of the Island, I noticed two cars near each other. One was helping the other. One of the car's windows were broken and things were stolen from the car. Right in the middle of the day, at a National park. I felt so sorry for this person and truly considered myself lucky that our car was untouched. What on earth is happening to Washington, DC?! The Pandemic and its shutdowns have sorely affected the overall health of our city. 

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

We are so thrilled for Peter and you as he takes on his new position. The press release shows Peter to be a perfect fit with this company. We hope the changes and adjustments for both of you will go smoothly and without too many difficulties.

I cannot believe they broke into a car today in this kind of weather! Yay that your car wasn't broken into--I don't know what's going on with our whole country, not just in Washington. Lawlessness seems to be flourishing. I'm glad you and your car stayed safe today.