Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 26, 2012

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2009. Mattie was in-patient and having his daily physical therapy session with Anna. However, you should know that Mattie typically did not like doing therapy alone. So that day, I was his therapy buddy and we played a version of twister together. Mattie was very good at this game! However, do not think that Anna got away with coaching him and giving him directions! Quite on the contrary. At one point that day, Mattie sat on the bench behind us and had Anna and I on the floor doing twister. Anna was a great sport and really did play along with Mattie's requests. I have no doubt that at first Mattie caught Anna off guard when they first started working together, but over time, I think Mattie influenced Anna in profound ways. Anna was already a great therapist, but through their special connection, and I think Mattie brought out skills and abilities in Anna she probably didn't know she had!

Quote of the day: Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. ~ T.S. Eliot

I must admit after yesterday we are both in a bit of a fog today. Despite how we felt, Peter went to work and I refocused back onto the next Foundation event. Which is our psychosocial symposium scheduled for March 20, 2012 on Capitol Hill.

Despite being in a mental fog, Ann suggested we meet up and walk since today was in the 50's. We walked close to four miles together and talked about all sorts of things. One of the things Ann and I spoke about was the turnout last night at Whole Foods of high school seniors from Mattie's school. I did not make mention of this last night in the blog, but there were several groups of seniors who stopped by at lunch time and then for dinner to support our cause. Most of them did not come up to talk with me directly, which is why I did not write about it last night. However, while Ann was talking to me about this today, I did reflect on one senior who did personally come up to me and introduced herself and wanted to know that she supported our cause. She is a delightful, well spoken young woman, and I was inspired by her sincerity.

I have received a lot of feedback about our Whole Foods event and I appreciate every email and comment. I would like to share four messages in particular with you.......................

The first message is from my friend and colleague, Nancy. Nancy wrote, "What a fabulous day! Your descriptions, pictures, and the love and support of everyone aptly describes the quote that was used in last night's blog. Everything was fantastic and I was with all of you in spirit. Wow, $1,600 in donations and the raffle! That is great. I pray that it will off set some of the revenue needed for all of your handouts, of which there was plenty. Awaiting the tally of the 5% figure too. I'm sure that it will be above any expectation that you might have had. The Girl Scout girls and Mattie's other friends are a tribute to your little boy and the penny, glad that Mattie could be with you yesterday too. Such a paradox to feel joy at seeing the penny and sadness at the same time that you had to plan all this because he endured so much. Can't wait till tomorrow to see the pictures of all the bears that the girls will contribute to the Foundation and how you will distribute them. The love and spirit of your Foundation is so personal, that all these sponsors and supporters are drawn to help. Again kudos to everyone, especially, Peter and you for your tireless effort on behalf of Mattie and anyone who has to experience any part of what the three of you went through."

The second message is from my friend and Mattie's first preschool teacher, Margaret. Margaret is now the assistant director of Mattie's preschool and she and Kim (the director) graciously advertised our event to their entire school community. The response from Resurrection Children's Center was remarkable, from both teachers and parents! Today Margaret sent out a message thanking her school's families. Margaret wrote, "I want to thank each and every one of you who stopped by to chat and shop at Whole Foods yesterday in support of The Mattie Miracle Foundation. Vicki and Peter, Mattie’s parents and founders of the Foundation, were overwhelmed with the outpouring of community support and were particularly impressed, as was I, with the participation of our RCC community, past and present. Amazing days like this remind me how proud and grateful I am to be a part of this community, a community that represents the best of humanity."

The third message is from my friend, Carolyn. Carolyn wrote, "You have MUCH to be proud of - and know how PROUD all of your friends are of you two! You are amazing individuals!"

The final message is from Katie (vice president of Philanthropy for Georgetown University Hospital). I have had the wonderful opportunity to get to know Katie over the last several months and we appreciate her support of our Foundation. Katie wrote, "Great to see you all last night -- and wonderful work at Whole Foods! We enjoyed seeing you all and helping the cause and I enjoyed seeing all the lovely photos and stories on the blog -- so beautifully written."

1 comment:

Jessa said...

A dear friend of mine lost her nephew today to osteosarcoma. I found your site while looking for some way to pay tribute to Jake and bring awareness to this horrible cancer that has ripped apart far too many families. I just wanted to say that your Mattie is beautiful and has an infectious smile. God love and keep him. I pray your heart will one day mend from your tragic loss.