Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 6, 2015

Friday, February 6, 2015

Friday, February 6, 2015

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2007. It was taken at a restaurant in Los Angeles that my parents frequent. Each time we would go dine there Mattie would want to sit right by the lion fountain. The ironic part about this is since Mattie died, I have NEVER seen the fountain working. It is as if there is some sort of symbolic expression of grief here. Naturally I am sure there is another logical explanation, but I am sticking with the more touching one. Mattie loved fountains, the sound of water, and if he could have, he would have dumped all his hotwheel cars into the fountain at the restaurant and played in it. He knew that was off limits but he did appreciate the fact that he could sit by the fountain and look at it and though sitting still wasn't always Mattie's forte, the fountain was a great distraction and had a calming effect.

Quote of the day: Remember no one can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

It is quite coincidental that tonight's blog photo of Mattie (which I preloaded into the blog when I was in DC), coincides with the restaurant my parents and I had lunch at today. This is Emilio's. Every Friday, my parents go to Emilio's for lunch with their friend John. The tradition of Emilio's goes way back for ALL of us. I remember going to Emilio's when I was in high school with my grandmother. That is how far back this tradition goes. John used to work with my dad, and though they are both retired now, their connection and camaraderie remains. So much so, that my dad, mom, and John gather each Friday religiously! When Mattie was alive, we also introduced him to Emilio's and just like all of us, Mattie enjoyed the experience. Perhaps for different reasons though. Not so much for the food, but he liked the atmosphere. He liked the outdoor patio area and the lion fountain! By the way, I looked at the fountain today too, and it still wasn't working!!! I have yet to see it running since Mattie died!!! 

Here is a photo of the outdoor patio space of the restaurant. You can see the lion fountain in the background. While we were having lunch today, I could see this Styrofoam  container of water on the ground near our table. I thought it was odd, since I saw no purpose for it, but I just let it go. When the table next to us was getting up from lunch, the container instantly started to make sense to me, because deep underneath the table emerged a helper dog. A beautiful golden Labrador. When this enormous dog got up, he brushed my dad's arm, and this startled him because he had his back to the dog and he wasn't expecting what happened to him. The whole dialogue that transpired between the sight impaired lady and my dad was down right hysterical. My dad joked and said he wasn't sure if someone was trying to get friendly with him and the sight impaired lady had a wonderful sense of humor and said that was her dog but she was also going to give him a hug. It was adorable. 

Meanwhile back in DC, Peter sent me this photo of our new dishwasher! I have been having the worst trouble with our dishwasher and practically gave us dealing with the problem. We had the dishwasher replaced about three times and each time the problem kept reoccurring, with water backing up and a terrible smell lingering. I frankly did not know how to manage it anymore and given all the other things on my plate I felt like I just couldn't fight this issue. 

There are many people within our complex that look out for us, especially our wonderful friend, Maria. I am deeply grateful to have this new appliance. To me it is the special thoughts and extra efforts like this that make me feel like people value our presence in their lives and in our Complex in general. When Peter sent me these photos tonight, I told him I was not sure it was possible.... but I am in LOVE with the look of this new dishwasher!

No comments: