Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 2, 2015

Monday, February 2, 2015

Monday, February 2, 2015

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2003. I remember taking this photo as if it were yesterday. Mattie was 11 months old and it was his first trip to Los Angeles. LA is three hours behind and that slight time change threw Mattie's sleeping schedule off. Mattie was a bad sleeper to begin with, so he really did not need any assistance in that department. So at 4am, he was up and ready for the day to begin. How Peter was up and smiling at that hour was beyond me, but somehow we managed through it. At that time I thought that was horrible, now of course in retrospect having contended with much worse, that was really nothing. 


Quote of the day: The battles that count aren't the ones for gold medals. The struggles within yourself–the invisible battles inside all of us –that’s where it’s at. ~ Jesse Owens


It was my first full day in Los Angeles and while I know it is cold, grey, and snowing on the East coast, it is truly amazing to say that it is sunny and in the 70s here. It is almost disorienting. The grass is green and things are in bloom. My mom and I went for a walk this morning and while on her neighborhood walking track, I got to meet two adorable dogs, Katie and Dabney. Dabney is a labradoodle. I know all about this breed, since my friend Tina has a labradoodle. Labradoodles are great retrievers and watching them play fetch is down right hysterical. Dabney was a true character today, because I honestly think this dog could never tire out from chasing after his favorite tennis ball. Katie on the hand is a basset hound and she proved my theory wrong. I always thought basset's were kind of lethargic dogs. Katie was far from it and despite having a low center of gravity moved like the wind. Katie and Dabney are apparently engaged, or at least this is what their owners seem to think. I have to tell you the whole dialogue was hysterical and certainly it brings the owners closer as friends. Nothing like bonding over your dogs.

My parents and I went out to lunch this afternoon and after lunch my dad and I talked about all sorts of things. We talked about Mattie Miracle, some of the struggles I experience at times managing the Foundation, and the help I feel we need in order for us to continue growing. It was a helpful dialogue, especially since my dad has years of successful experience working in both the corporate and non-profit worlds. Though I may have wonderful vision and do have the energy to work like ten people, I am realistic and very aware of the fact that I need other brain power to brainstorm and share the responsibilities of the growth of the Foundation. My dad understands my feelings, so when I share them and other candor comments, I know I do not need to sugar coat them which is refreshing. 

The wonderful thing about spending time and connecting face to face is being able to share stories and memories. Sure one could do this over email or over the phone (which anyone who knows me, knows this is not my mode of interaction!!!), but some how it isn't quite the same! I had the opportunity later on this afternoon to hear more about my dad's career, what led him to make certain decisions, the dynamics between him and some of his bosses, and his artful and clever strategies he implemented over the years which enabled him to remain and survive within the entertainment industry for as long as he did. My dad, for the most part, is a humble and quiet man about his accomplishments. Most likely because he came from modest to poor beginnings (by today's standards) and then made something of himself. As a child, I really wasn't aware of my dad's career other than perhaps his title and the company he worked for. But now as an adult I am more cognizant of the world, the struggles of human dynamics, the complexities of finding and maintaining a job, and the importance of being an invaluable member and asset to one's company and organization. I realize that there are so many stories that my dad can share with me that illustrate how he was able to survive in the business world and have such an illustrious career, but more importantly I find that it is through his stories that I get to learn more about the man who is my father. 

No comments: