Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 7, 2015

Saturday, February 7, 2015

Saturday, February 7, 2015

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2007. We took Mattie to Griffith Park in Los Angeles. Griffith Park happened to be one of our favorite places to go with Mattie. It had just about everything one could want from parks, playgrounds, a Dentzel Carousel, pony rides, a wonderful town filled with historic train cars called Travel Town, the zoo, and the list goes on!!! When I moved to Los Angeles as a teenager, I really never visited Griffith Park much. But when Mattie came into my life, I had the opportunity to be introduced to this wonderful resource and in a way to become a child again. We explored Griffith Park together and all its wonders. We all went on this miniature train ride..... I can't tell you HOW MANY TIMES!!!! 

Quote of the day:  If you do what you've always done, you’ll get what you've always gotten. ~ Tony Robbins


This afternoon I went out to lunch with my parents and while in the restaurant I noticed a side room of the restaurant was decorated and reserved for a baby shower. There was a big sign in the room that read..... It's a boy! For most people the announcement of a child is a happy occasion. I on the other hand am not quite sure I share this philosophy. Though I realize I am in the MINORITY. I am even in the minority with those who have also lost children to cancer. Which is why in most cases I usually keep my opinions to myself especially when out in public. As I was watching this mother-to-be flitting around the room today and greeting her guests, I remembered that excitement and thinking I had a whole future ahead of me. It never dawned on me that a child could get struck with childhood cancer and the profound impact such a disease could have on every aspect of one's life. Of course happily I realize most children do not get cancer and most families will not experience what Peter and I did, but as I observed this event today, a part of me couldn't help but be reminded of my own baby shower years ago.   



This evening I was text messaging Peter back and forth about today's baby shower and I asked him if he knew where our baby
shower photos were! Peter sent me several photos and my dear friend Mary Ann sent me this one! I told her I LOVED it because it was better than most of the ones I had! 


Peter's parents took this photo of my parents with Peter and I at the baby shower. Two of my friends from graduate school hosted the baby shower and the theme was ducks! 





In this photo, behind me in pink is Mary Ann, and next to Peter are our other dear friends, Leslie and Mike. Leslie was my freshman college roommate, and we have known each other for many years. Her daughter, Faye has done many service learning projects for Mattie Miracle over the years!





Despite the fact that there was a 10 degree temperature drop in Los Angeles today and it also rained, it was still much better weather than anything I would be experiencing in Washington, DC. I snapped a photo of this street lined with flowering pear trees. It is a beautiful sight to see in February. 




On my parent's driveway today was this snail. He was traversing from one part of the garden to the other. Mattie absolutely LOVED snails and when snails would die off, he liked to collect their shells. I have no doubt if Mattie were alive, he would have been trailing after this snail and following it, studying where he was going, and naming it too! We would have gotten a full report on the snails where abouts today! Needless to say, I took this photo in honor of Mattie. 


I end tonight's posting with a lovely photo of lavender daisies! Again, to someone in LA this is no big deal, but to me, they are a lovely sight!



No comments: