Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 22, 2021

Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2008. As you can see Scooby Doo came to Mattie's room to visit and bring Christmas gifts. Mattie was a HUGE Scooby fan, so despite how Mattie was feeling, he was very happy to have a Scooby visit. In turns out years after Mattie died, we met the father of the teen who played Scooby Doo for the hospital. I let the father know how much his son's visits meant to us and I thanked him for his son's service. Back then, the little things made such a difference to us and the slightest act of kindness could change the whole tone and mood in our room. 


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins.

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 51,513,208
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 811,783

Today was one for the books! I got up early because I wanted to get my dad up, washed, dressed, completed with breakfast, and some of his daily exercises. I did this early because my mom wanted to go to the salon for her hair and nails. Given that it is a holiday week, I booked these appointments last week. I took my mom to my salon in Georgetown. Yes despite moving, I still commute over thirty minutes into the city for services. In any case, I have been seeing the same nail person since Mattie died in 2008. We go back a long time and her sister used to do my hair, before she retired. In any case, I figured my mom would enjoy the salon experience in Georgetown, especially since the nail area is spa like. 

I figured while my mom was getting her hair done, I would get a pedicure and manicure. I was looking forward to time NOT doing anything. Given all the moving and packing I did in Los Angeles, my nails are a mess and my fingers are all cracked. To my surprise, my mom finished her hair service early and they brought her upstairs to me, where I was right in the middle of a pedicure. Somehow there was a miscommunication and my mom thought she was getting her nails done at the same time as me. Of course this couldn't happen, as my nail person was going to to finish me, go on a thirty minute break, and then take care of my mom. Though I had mentioned this timing to my mom last week, it did not help me today. When my mom heard about the time delay, she wasn't happy. She did not want to wait and it all went downhill from there. 

Needless to say, my mom did not get her nails done and I did not have a peaceful moment. I was upset, frustrated, and once again feeling trapped. I am trapped as I can't get anything done other than tasks, cooking, and cleaning. Perhaps I will figure this out over time, but for now, it is one daunting day after the other. 

No comments: