Friday, September 18, 2026Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2008. Mattie was in his second month of treatment at the hospital. Each of the rooms in the pediatric intensive care unit had windows out in the hallway. Seriously to me the room was like living in a prison and the window out into the hallway seemed to be a reminder that we were part of a institution and being watched. There was very little privacy, with people coming in and out of the room at all hours of the day and night! That particular evening, Mattie was getting stir crazy. So what did we do? We blew up gloves and Mattie had a puppet show through the window. Anyone in the hallway couldn't miss my six year old with dancing gloves in the window! The beauty of Mattie Brown!
Quote of the day: What greater gift than the love of a cat? ~ Charles Dickens
This is Indie! We rescued her on Independence Day weekend of 2016. She is a Tortoise Shell cat, and if you know anything about this breed, they have Tortitude! Vocal, smart, and loyal! Indie was rescued from West Virginia and I fell in love with her face on the rescue site. She has been with me for ten years now.
This morning, after I dropped my dad off at his memory care center, I rushed home to try to capture Indie, place her in a carrying case, so I could take her to her annual vet check up.
I have to admit that Sunny, the Australian Shepherd, was my boy, and Indie bonded with my other half. In 2023, I was left to manage Sunny (who had cancer), my parents, and learn to care and bond with Indie. We had an adjustment period, but as I say, Indie is smart, and she learned quickly.... I am it! She has to rely on me for food, love, care, and litter box maintenance (by the way she has TRAINED me well.... as she has two boxes that get cleaned daily).
This photo of Indie was taken at night. Every night, after I get my parents into bed, Indie comes into my room, hops on the bed, and gets cozy right next to me. Together we watch a Hallmark movie. She has become my buddy. The funny part about her is while I am sleeping, she migrates right up to my head. She sleeps between my pillows and the pillows of my other half.
One of the things I do not like is having to assemble Indie's carrying case and then capturing her and putting her in the case. But one of the things that happens when you live alone is you become very good at being organized and strategic. I have to be, as I don't have back up! So two days ago, I assembled the carrying case and put it in my closet. I did it while Indie was downstairs and couldn't hear what I was doing. The key to all of this is catching Indie by surprise! If she knows what is coming or gets fearful and I will be running all around the house trying to capture her. This morning, I took the assembled carrying case, covered it with my sweater, and placed it in another room. I know Indie's habits..... mid-morning, she goes back to my bedroom and sleeps on my bed.
I literally had a conversation with myself while driving back from my dad's memory care center. I gave myself a pep talk. If I could figure out a divorce, a mortgage, and caregiving 24/7, I think I am capable of outsmarting Indie and getting her in her carrying case. So I got home, went upstairs, grabbed the carrying case, and calmly walked into my bedroom. Remember the carrying case had my sweater over it, so literally Indie did not put two and two together. I then went to close my bedroom door, and then revealed the carrying case. To which Indie freaked out. She tried to run around, but I caught her and got her in the carrying case.
I happen to love Indie's vet. She is very competent, friendly, warm, and loves cats. Indie had a wonderful visit and examination and is doing well. They said they wanted to give her the "good cat award" today! But what saddens me is the cost of vet care. Today's wellness exam included blood work and a fecal test, and altogether, the bill was over $625. Naturally any animal owner does whatever we have to do to care for our fur babies, but the cost of care is so high, that I can't see owning a pet is affordable for everyone. That makes me sad! All I know is I am very grateful that Sunny and Indie were left behind and in my care, and anything in my care, gets my 100% attention. I miss Sunny every day, and I believe so does Indie. Do you know that Indie loves lying down on Sunny's dog bed (which is still in my family room)? They were good buddies right from day one (as you can see from this photo). When we brought Sunny home for the first time, Indie came downstairs, and they touched noses (yes I captured that moment on camera!). It was in that moment that we went from a family of two to a family of four. Sunny and Indie, may have been rescued, but they in essence rescued me.
No comments:
Post a Comment